• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:55 AM

Maintainer: NettiCat
Creator: NettiCat

Ext. Version: 1.92.3.dev
Release date: 0000-00-00
Description: Fast Multilanguage Tooltip Translation
Extension is compatible to: ( 3.5 - 3.7.*) ( 2.0 - 2.*)

Included locales: cs-CZ de-DE en-US es-ES fr nl pt-BR vi zh-CN

View on WTS -- Download the extension

Edited by NettiCat, 16 June 2010 - 01:36 AM.

#2 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Welcome! welcomeani.gif

Just a bit of information for you: in case you have some queries about the WTS, you can find our Wiki here!

In case you're looking for a specific translator, please see the list of available translators on BabelZilla.
When you select the desired one, you can send him/her a P.M. or an e-mail (if and when public).

You may also insert a new Topic in the Help Section, in order to ask for specific translations, to write a general request about missing translations, etc.
While the bankers all get their bonuses I’ll just get along with what I’ve got

#3 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

Dutch locale released but with several remarks, mainly about incomplete localization:
- None of the tooltips have been localized!
- Unlocalized text in the service definitions:

- Unlocalized language names:

- Warning message when editing the service definitions not localized, all screens after that not localized:

#4 NettiCat

NettiCat

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (markh @ Feb 8 2010, 08:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dutch locale released but with several remarks, mainly about incomplete localization:
- None of the tooltips have been localized!
- Unlocalized text in the service definitions:
- Unlocalized language names:
- Warning message when editing the service definitions not localized, all screens after that not localized:

Well, you are right - and I found even more strings. I should not have released it for translation, not without thoroughly checking my localization implementation first. I requested your help with half my work not completed - sorry!

However, I want to let you know that used the last week to add the missing localization code. It was more work than I expected and I could not complete earlier. (I localized the languages, tooltips, the services tab including the important warning, the BabelFish panel and the BabelFish tooltip, also some error messages important for the uses, hotkey, and more). So maybe there is some translator still interested to complete the BabelFish translation work.

From localization still excluded is the service-editor because only developers can make use of it (those people usually understand English), also excluded are most technical error and debug messages, for obvious reasons I think.

I had problems to upload the updated 'locale.zip' to WTS, however it is available at this location too: Locale update Maybe someone can bring it to WTS if it is still missing there. Not sure if my upload was accepted.

If you still find incomplete localization, please let me know.

I also have technical question, I wanted to add a comment string to a locale-file (intended for the translators), but doing it with /* comment */ or just a ;comment at the beginning did not work.

Thank you

#5 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (NettiCat @ Feb 14 2010, 03:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you are right - and I found even more strings. I should not have released it for translation, not without thoroughly checking my localization implementation first. I requested your help with half my work not completed - sorry!

However, I want to let you know that used the last week to add the missing localization code. It was more work than I expected and I could not complete earlier. (I localized the languages, tooltips, the services tab including the important warning, the BabelFish panel and the BabelFish tooltip, also some error messages important for the uses, hotkey, and more). So maybe there is some translator still interested to complete the BabelFish translation work.

From localization still excluded is the service-editor because only developers can make use of it (those people usually understand English), also excluded are most technical error and debug messages, for obvious reasons I think.

I had problems to upload the updated 'locale.zip' to WTS, however it is available at this location too: Locale update Maybe someone can bring it to WTS if it is still missing there. Not sure if my upload was accepted.

If you still find incomplete localization, please let me know.

I also have technical question, I wanted to add a comment string to a locale-file (intended for the translators), but doing it with /* comment */ or just a ;comment at the beginning did not work.

Thank you

Many thanks, and as for me, I will get right to it. Regarding the comment lines: in dtd files these have this syntax (but you would probably know):
<!-- comment -->. The WTS will show these. I don’t think the WTS will show comments in properties files at the moment.

#6 strepon

strepon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

Hello,
I can't translate strings "Chinese[S]" and "Chinese[T]" (Czech locales). When I save it, everything seems to be OK (even summaries show 100%), but translation of these strings is deleted, they remain red and doesn't appear in downloaded locales. Do you also see this behaviour or is it only my problem?

#7 ioreker

ioreker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (strepon @ Feb 15 2010, 23:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,
I can't translate strings "Chinese[S]" and "Chinese[T]" (Czech locales). When I save it, everything seems to be OK (even summaries show 100%), but translation of these strings is deleted, they remain red and doesn't appear in downloaded locales. Do you also see this behaviour or is it only my problem?

The same thing happens to me. I have asked in the French forum a few minutes ago so let's wait for an answer. It's maybe a bug of the WTS.

Besides that, I have lots of things to tell you NettiCat biggrin.gif
  1. The current version of BabelFish which can be found here seems to be buggy:
    • In the prefs window tooltips about font and font size never appear
    • Pushing the "Edit definitions" button doesn't have any effect anymore
    • Even if they are enabled no menu entries appear in the Firefox Tools menu

2. I've found something still untranslated
    Attached File  Babelfish_Untranslated.PNG   17.18KB   7 downloads

3. Finally, I promised you a few questions so here they come happy.gif
    I don't know how to translate "Remove title tooltips in hover mode" and "Title tooltips often mask the hover text" because I don't know what you call "Title tooltips"
    • If this is the title of the tooltips, I would have said "tooltip title", or am I wrong?
    • But even then, I haven't seen any title during my tests

Can you help me? These are my last 2 strings! (along with that annoying Chinese bug sad.gif )

#8 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (ioreker @ Feb 15 2010, 23:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally, I promised you a few questions so here they come happy.gif
  1. I don't know how to translate "Remove title tooltips in hover mode" and "Title tooltips often mask the hover text" because I don't know what you call "Title tooltips"
    • If this is the title of the tooltips, I would have said "tooltip title", or am I wrong?
    • But even then, I haven't seen any title during my tests

Can you help me? These are my last 2 strings! (along with that annoying Chinese bug sad.gif )

A small note about this last point: Netticat probably means the "title" attribute by which the tooltip text is displayed on hover a link
So "remove title tooltips in hover mode" is probably similar to "Don't show tooltips on hover" (fr supprimer les infobulles au survol de la souris)
The other string is an explanation "Title tooltips often mask the hover text" = when your mouse is hovering a link and a tooltip is displayed, it prevents you from seeing the words underneath, sometimes. (fr Les infobulles maquent souvent le texte survolé par la souris)
Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#9 NettiCat

NettiCat

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:37 AM

@strepon:
No I had no problems with the german locale because I did not use WTS but a simple text editor. Don't bother about WTS, please just send me the locales attached to an email.
skmail aatt gmx.net

@ioreker:
- Please see my answer above concerning the translation of "Chinese[S]" and "Chinese[T]".
- I can confirm the bugs you have found - will be fixed soon.
- For the missing translation please use 'colorreset' as identifier in babelmousish.properties
- "Title tooltips" and "tooltip title", for me it is exactly the same. wink.gif Goofy posted a good explanation but if you are still unsure, then I would try to describe it with my words.

Many thanks, so far.
I will upload a new BabelFish version and locale as soon as the bugs are fixed.

#10 NettiCat

NettiCat

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:03 AM

- Uploaded fixed BabelFish.xpi
- Uploaded updated locale files

I hope I did not miss something.

#11 strepon

strepon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for your advice. I edited the file manually, then I tried to upload it and it works - so the last updated version can be found at Babelzilla.

#12 ioreker

ioreker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE (NettiCat @ Feb 16 2010, 01:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Please see my answer above concerning the translation of "Chinese[S]" and "Chinese[T]".

Done in the same way as strepon did.

- "Title tooltips" and "tooltip title", for me it is exactly the same.

Not for me. Like in German, you know, when the meaning of a word changes according to the order of the 2 (or more) words it is made up. I'm unable to find a good example right now though...
Anyway, never mind because the only thing I didn't get was that these strings speak about tooltips from Firefox, not from BabelFish. It's clear now.

Conclusion: fr locale is (almost) finished! I will try to get a review from other members to be sure there is no typos, but the translation should be good enough to use.

Bonus: I came across something else not translated
Attached File  Error.PNG   10.67KB   11 downloads
This is the message you get when the source and target languages are the same.

#13 NettiCat

NettiCat

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

I considered to change "Title tooltips" to "tooltip title" in the english locale. But thinking about it again, I still tend to keep my current description. IMO it applies somehow better to the tooltips which show the title of a HTML tag. So for me it actually it is not the title of a tooltip (= tooltip-title) but the class of title tooltips. In a way it is funny to discuss this strange topic and I like to note that it is not very important for me. So simply translate it the way you want - possibly someone else here could write a comment which helps to come to a decision.

fr locale is (almost) finished!

I'm pleased to see that the translation work at BabelZilla makes that fast progress. Thank you!

This is the message you get when the source and target languages are the same.

I intentionally skipped the translation of most error messages - for the following reasons:
1. Let's take your posted error popup as an example.... The majority of users would not know where to update the service definitions and for them it would be best choice to wait for an official update of the whole BabelFish extension. Thus the content of the error message is somehow useless for the end-user.
For the special case where 'source = target language' applies, a distinct user notification was added to the latest versions: The language codes in the tooltip are shown with error color. This is one of the few cases where the user can solve the problem without support (I remember that I decided to translate the connection timeout too - it's also easily solvable).
2. If we generally allow localized error messages, then it would be hard or even impossible to provide appropriate support. For example I would have no means to translate those localized messages and I don't think that BabelFish would be very helpful in that special case.

I belief there is a better way to get rid of service error problems, which for example are caused by 3rd-party service modifications (those are an obvious threat for BabelFish's popularity). A possible solution would be to implement an automatic 'service-definitions update service' which is working besides Mozilla's addon update service. This already is on my task list for the future.

So for now the missing locales wont-be-fixed, but I'm interested in your opinion on that topic.

#14 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (NettiCat @ Feb 17 2010, 02:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I considered to change "Title tooltips" to "tooltip title" in the english locale. But thinking about it again, I still tend to keep my current description. IMO it I intentionally skipped the translation of most error messages - for the following reasons:
1. Let's take your posted error popup as an example.... The majority of users would not know where to update the service definitions and for them it would be best choice to wait for an official update of the whole BabelFish extension. Thus the content of the error message is somehow useless for the end-user.
For the special case where 'source = target language' applies, a distinct user notification was added to the latest versions: The language codes in the tooltip are shown with error color. This is one of the few cases where the user can solve the problem without support (I remember that I decided to translate the connection timeout too - it's also easily solvable).
2. If we generally allow localized error messages, then it would be hard or even impossible to provide appropriate support. For example I would have no means to translate those localized messages and I don't think that BabelFish would be very helpful in that special case.

I belief there is a better way to get rid of service error problems, which for example are caused by 3rd-party service modifications (those are an obvious threat for BabelFish's popularity). A possible solution would be to implement an automatic 'service-definitions update service' which is working besides Mozilla's addon update service. This already is on my task list for the future.

So for now the missing locales wont-be-fixed, but I'm interested in your opinion on that topic.

For the sake of user experience I think it would be much better to completely localize the extension. The problem of localized error messages you mention can be tackled by adding error codes, and asking users to include those codes in any communication regarding the issue. It will be easy for you then to figure out what the error is and the user will still be reading his/her own language.

Anyway, Dutch locale tested and released. The localized description does not work, as there is no reference in prefs.js to it. Also, the entity name would be wrong. Here is a tutorial you can follow that will give a proper localized description. wink.gif

On the Chinese(T/S] thing: perhaps this is caused by the brackets in the entity name? You could try replacing the brackets by an underscore in the name and see whether that works.

#15 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (markh @ Feb 17 2010, 09:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the sake of user experience I think it would be much better to completely localize the extension. The problem of localized error messages you mention can be tackled by adding error codes, and asking users to include those codes in any communication regarding the issue. It will be easy for you then to figure out what the error is and the user will still be reading his/her own language.

smile.gif I agree entirely with markh here, and his workaround suggestion deserves consideration.
I am strongly in favour of total interface translation for transparency's sake regarding the user. Better have strange error messages in your language than obscure eroor messages in another lang.
Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#16 ioreker

ioreker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (NettiCat @ Feb 17 2010, 02:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I considered to change "Title tooltips" to "tooltip title" in the english locale. But thinking about it again, I still tend to keep my current description.

And that's a good decision. I misunderstood these strings because my knowledge of HTML is very limited (hey, I'm a translator, not a programmer! tongue.gif) But now I have been explained what these "title tooltips" are, I entirely agree with you.

By the way, the fr locale has been tested, reviewed, corrected and released!

Concerning the translation of the error messages, I agree with the 2 people above: error codes can do the trick of avoiding bug reports with messages you couldn't understand.
Moreover if users understand what's going on, they can decide by themselves whether they are advanced enough to solve the problem. And you could even add in the error message something like "If you don't know what/how to do, send an email at support@babelfish.com bla bla bla" so that people won't be lost.

These are only small suggestions. The final decision is up to you.

A possible solution would be to implement an automatic 'service-definitions update service' which is working besides Mozilla's addon update service. This already is on my task list for the future.

Once again, I'm not a programmer... so good luck for that wink.gif And see you for future updates!

#17 NettiCat

NettiCat

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:19 PM

For the sake of user experience I think it would be much better to completely localize the extension. The problem of localized error messages you mention can be tackled by adding error codes...

Thank you, this is a good idea, and overall your replies convinced me to localize the error messages. I thought there were be more, but I could find only three of them.

I also found that I could save valuable GUI space if I shorten the hotkey label and add an alert message instead. Users with very small screens (pocket PC) often complain that the BF GUI is too large in height. So please consider this locale modification too.

There were other code modifications, but not affecting the locales.

Updated BabelFish.xpi at WTS
Updated locales at WTS

#18 edgard.magalhaes

edgard.magalhaes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

pt-BR Brazilian Portuguese locale released.
[[]]
Edgard

#19 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

Dutch locale added and released again cool.gif Please don’t forget to include all locales in future updates wink.gif

#20 NettiCat

NettiCat

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:41 AM

Added an edit Button 'E' with tooltip 'Edit selection' to the translation popup/panel.
This is a new, I think useful function, but it needs to be localized (just the two strings as mentioned above)
Thank you very much!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users