Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

Maintainer: mozjonathan
Creator: Jonathan Protzenko

Ext. Version: 2.5
Release date: 2012-03-06
Description: Brings a conversation view to a Thunderbird near you!
Extension is compatible to: ( 12.0a1 - 19.0a1)

Included locales: ca cs da de el en-US es es-ES eu eu-ES fi-FI fr he-IL hr hu-HU it ja-JP lt nl pl pt-BR rm ru sr sv-SE zh-CN zh-TW

View on WTS -- Download the extension

Edited by mozjonathan, 08 October 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#2 mozjonathan

mozjonathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

Hi to everyone !

I'm finally stabilizing features for a 1.0 release of this extension, which will be published at the same time as Thunderbird 3.1rc1. Please don't register for zh-CN, fr or de-DE as I already have translators, they just need to register here first.

Please also post here your translation of install.rdf in this topic because, once again, the WTS doesn't seem to allow you to translate install.rdf.

<em:localized>
<Description>
<em:locale>YOUR-LOCALE-HERE</em:locale>
<em:name>GMail Conversation View</em:name>
<em:description>Groups your emails in conversations, with your own messages included, just like GMail.</em:description>
<em:translator>YOUR-NAME-HERE</em:translator>
</Description>
</em:localized>

Thanks !

#3 s.kronenwerth

s.kronenwerth

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

Hi Jonathan!

He's my translation:

<Description>
<em:locale>de</em:locale>
<em:description>Gruppiert Ihre Nachrichen (inklusive Ihrer gesendeten) in Konversationen; wie bei Googlemail.</em:description>
<em:translator>Sebastian Kronenwerth</em:translator>
</Description>

#4 wellown

wellown

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hi Jonathan!
my translation is done :

<Description>
<em:locale>zh-CN</em:locale>
<em:name>GMail 会话视图</em:name>
<em:description>按邮件话题集中显示相关邮件(包括你自己发出的邮件), 同Gmail目前的邮件显示方式一致</em:description>
<em:translator>Wellown</em:translator>
</Description>

#5 Guest_charmed94_*

Guest_charmed94_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

Delete me!

#6 ranvis

ranvis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hi Jonathan,
I've registered as a Japanese translator.
One question. How will "to", "details", "attachments" in main.properties be used?

And here's install.rdf for Japanese (ja-JP.)
<Description>
<em:locale>ja-JP</em:locale>
<em:description>関連するメールをGmail風に一連の会話としてまとめます。
自分で出したメールも含まれます。</em:description>
<em:translator>SATO Kentaro</em:translator>
</Description>

(Please remove the line break in the description that automatically inserted.)

#7 mozjonathan

mozjonathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Thanks a lot! Ranvis, I'm really glad you translated this, I really have a lot of japanese users, I think they'll be glad to have this extension in their native language. I'll remove the line break as you suggested.

to: when you view a message, near the top, you have "Someone to someone else". "to" is used there
attachment(s): you need to view a message with attachments, below the "Someone to someone else" header, this string is used to provide a list of attachments, which you can click, to jump to the description below (light grey text)
details: this is a feature I originally wanted to implement, but I had to cut it off for the 1.0 release, so it will be enabled in the next version.

Charmed94: GMail? I guess I'm just wrong, I thought it was GMail because the envelope on the logo was closer to an M in my opinion, but I checked everywhere, and it's just Gmail... sorry for this!

I will send a last-minute fix of the translation, there are a couple of mistakes. I'll post here the changed strings so that you can easily fix them, and I'll mark it as a major upgrade, so that you will be notified by email.

#8 ranvis

ranvis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thank you for the detailed clarification. I mistakenly presumed they all are items to be used in the future.
QUOTE (mozjonathan @ May 25 2010, 17:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to: when you view a message, near the top, you have "Someone to someone else". "to" is used there

In Japanese "from someone to someone else" is written as "someone from someone else to." Though "to" can be translated as "from" or ", to:", I'll put "To" literally as it is in Japanese Gmail.

And thanks for the work. I hadn't know this extension since but I now take a fancy to this fancy message pane.

#9 ranvis

ranvis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (mozjonathan @ May 25 2010, 17:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
attachment(s): you need to view a message with attachments, below the "Someone to someone else" header, this string is used to provide a list of attachments, which you can click, to jump to the description below (light grey text)

Oops, "attachment" was also used in the description.
Can this be separated, or be printf formatted?
Top "attachment(s) (N)" is OK: "添付ファイル (N)".
But below "N attachment(s)" should be "N 個の添付ファイル" (or "添付ファイル×N" if confirms to Gmail)

#10 mozjonathan

mozjonathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

Ok, I've made a few changes because some localizations are tricky.

1) First changes

locale/en-US/error.dtd:<!ENTITY error.title
locale/en-US/error.dtd:<!ENTITY info_af.title
locale/en-US/options.dtd:<!ENTITY window.title

These have been changed to use Gmail instead of GMail. Please check your locale to see if you need such a change. I've changed the descriptions in install.rdf so you shouldn't need to worry about that file. (Thanks to Charmed94 for pointing that out!)

2) Clarity changes

locale/en-US/error.dtd:<!ENTITY info_af.body

This has been changed to use "message list" instead of "thread pane" which I think is clearer for most users. Please see if there's anything you can improve on that side.

locale/en-US/options.dtd<!ENTITY option.hide_longer_than

This has been changed because it turned out the description was quite unclear. Instead of "hide quoted parts longer than", we have "hide quoted text higher than ...". This should be easier to understand.

3) Issue with "attachment(s)"

To deal with possibly different syntax for attachments, there are two new strings: attachments_top for the light gray top text, and attachments_bottom for the text next to "save all attachments" button. Getting the plurals right is tricky, I'll try to do that properly in the next version, let's just stick with this in the meanwhile. ranvis, that should be fine for you. Please leave %s is the place where the number of attachments will go.

4) Issue with "Me"

As Sebastian pointed out, in some languages, "Me" translates differently depending on whether it's "Me to someone else" or "Someone else to Me". This has been updated too, now there are two new strings in main.properties

me_as_in_me_to=Me
me_as_in_to_me=Me

these should be pretty clear =). The first one is for "Me to ..." and the second one is for "... to Me".

Ranvis, I'd be quite happy if you could just leave "to" as in the Japanese GMail, that's getting hard to deal with.

Thanks!

jonathan

#11 ranvis

ranvis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

jonathan, thanks it's very fine now smile.gif

#12 dotancohen

dotancohen

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

Here's Hebrew:

<Description>
<em:locale>he-IL</em:locale>
<em:name>תצוגת שיחה</em:name>
<em:description>כווץ את הודעות הדוא"ל בשיחות, כולל ההודעות שלך, בדומה לג'יימל.‏</em:description>
<em:translator>Dotan Cohen</em:translator>
</Description>

Thanks!

#13 Luana

Luana

(Just a passionate localizer since 2004!)

• Admin
  • 3478 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Italian localization has been added, completed and tested many many times!
Now it's ready, so it has been finally set as released smile.gif

And here's related install.rdf (it):
<Description>
<em:locale>it</em:locale>
<em:name>Gmail Conversation View</em:name>
<em:description>Permette di visualizzare le e-mail sotto forma di conversazioni in modo analogo al sito web di Gmail</em:description>
<em:translator>Luana Di Muzio - BabelZilla</em:translator>
</Description>

Many thanks for this so great add-on rockon.gif
E' meglio tacere ed essere, che dire e non essere (Ignazio, II sec. d. C)
Quod scripturae mandatur, non solum praesentibus sed futuris prodesse valeat...

#14 mozjonathan

mozjonathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (MatrixIsAllOver @ Jun 9 2010, 05:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Jonathan,

Italian localization has been added, completed and tested many many times!
Now it's ready, so it has been finally set as released smile.gif

And here's related install.rdf (it):

Many thanks for this so great add-on rockon.gif

Excellent! Thanks to everyone smile.gif.

#15 mozjonathan

mozjonathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

Hi again,

Here's a new version. It's not finished yet but I don't plan on adding any new strings so this should be fine for you to start translating.

One quick message: I've added comments everywhere regarding some strings that need to be lowercase. You may have noticed that some strings are duplicated. This is not because I'm lazy, but because in some parts of Thunderbird, lowercase text is required to achieve consistency, while in some other parts, the text needs to start with uppercase. Please make sure your translations are correct :-).

I added the correct rule for plurals, and it's a bit tricky to get right, but I suppose you're familiar with this. Anyway, I've added a comment above and a link to the right page on AMO.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you notice some strange things!

Cheers,

jonathan

#16 chuzo

chuzo

Site Admin

• Admin
  • 1306 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Spanish (es-ES) locale released in the WTS.

Here is install.rdf file:

CODE
<Description>
<em:locale>es</em:locale>
<em:description>Permite visualizar los mensajes en modo de conversación, de igual manera que en GMail</em:description>
<em:translator>Proyecto Nave</em:translator>
</Description>

Greetings from Spain wink.gif

#17 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:14 AM

Swedish locale (sv-SE) added and released.

CODE
      <Description>
        <em:locale>sv-SE</em:locale>
        <em:description>Visa dina e-brev som fullständiga trÃ¥dar eller grupperade och med trÃ¥dsammanfattningar, precis som hos Gmail.</em:description>
        <em:translator>Mikael Hiort af Ornäs</em:translator>
        <em:creator>Jonathan Protzenko</em:creator>
        <em:homepageURL>http://github.com/protz/GMail-Conversation-View</em:homepageURL>
      </Description>

"[…] och han talar med bönder på böndernas sätt
men med lärde män på latin." – Erik Axel Karlfeldt

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin
Moderator for the Swedish BabelZilla forum section

#18 mozjonathan

mozjonathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I've released a new update. This has been a major rewrite since Gmail Conversation View. I'm only requesting locale updates just now, because the strings have been changing very much during the development cycle. I think some strings have been left in the options, but I strongly suggest you check that they're still valid :-).

If you want to try this, you will need *a recent Thunderbird trunk build*. You can read more about the state of Thunderbird Conversations here http://mozillalabs.com/messaging/2010/12/0...-conversations/ . I hope you enjoy translating this addon as much as I enjoyed writing it!

I plan on releasing an alpha3 release at the same time as Thunderbird 3.3alpha3, and I'll try to have a stable release for when Thunderbird 3.3 comes out. I'll post snapshots of your translations as they go on amo for the "alpha releases" of Thunderbird Conversations.

jonathan

#19 Sonickydon

Sonickydon

[el-GR] Coordinator

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

I've just registered for el and i have a question before i start with it.
Should we translate/localize the extension name in places like the options dialog title or not?
The usual rule is that we shouldn't, so that users can get support easier, but in this case,
since it's going to be a feature of Thunderbird itself in a while, i'm not sure if that rule applies.
Graecum est, non legitur

#20 mozjonathan

mozjonathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

Hi,

I think you can translate the name in the options dialog, but I also think that for the addons manager, it's better to still leave it as "Thunderbird Conversations", so that the name is easily recognizable. I don't think it's wise to translate the name in places like the addon manager, AMO, etc.. But inside Thunderbird, I think it's fine.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users