• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gymka

gymka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

eg. i translated extension, so of course i want to use translated version, so firefox will update my custom version then author release new version?(i always use version from https://addons.mozilla.org not from babelzilla) eg. phone java applications has builtin "update url" is it same here?
"Kvailam gimti ne sarmata. Tik mirti kvailam gÄ—da." E. M. Remarkas
"Родиться глупым не стыдно, стыдно только умирать глупцом." Э. М. Ремарк
"To born stupid is not shame, just to die stupid is shameful." E. M. Remarque
"Dumm geboren zu werden ist keine Schande. Nur dumm zu sterben." E. M. Remarque

#2 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (gymka @ Dec 3 2011, 18:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eg. i translated extension, so of course i want to use translated version, so firefox will update my custom version then author release new version?(i always use version from https://addons.mozilla.org not from babelzilla) eg. phone java applications has builtin "update url" is it same here?

Hi,

No, this is a separate, dedicated fan website and not a part of the official Mozilla organisation sites. So the add-ons aren't automatically updated, not at AMO (addons.mozilla.org) nor here at BabelZilla. The developers have to take the translations from BabelZilla, integrate them into the add-on package and then upload it to AMO.

You can, however, create your own version and at the same time test if your translation works properly. Read this BabelZilla help article on the subject.

/Lakrits
"[…] och han talar med bönder på böndernas sätt
men med lärde män på latin." – Erik Axel Karlfeldt

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin
Moderator for the Swedish BabelZilla forum section

#3 gymka

gymka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Lakrits @ Dec 3 2011, 20:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

No, this is a separate, dedicated fan website and not a part of the official Mozilla organisation sites. So the add-ons aren't automatically updated, not at AMO (addons.mozilla.org) nor here at BabelZilla. The developers have to take the translations from BabelZilla, integrate them into the add-on package and then upload it to AMO.

You can, however, create your own version and at the same time test if your translation works properly. Read this BabelZilla help article on the subject.

/Lakrits

you are wrong(or not understood my question). i did simple experiment:
1. from addons.mozilla.org i downloaded extension "WOT - Know Which Websites to Trust" not latest version which is 20111107 but older 20110704
2. localized downloaded extension(i don't have time to translate, so added "lt" folder and copied there Russian files, because i know only 3 languages)
3. installed my "localized" version and of course i see extension in Russian(because it chooses Lithuanian folder)
4. "firefox->tools->addons->check for updates" and it FOUND 20111107 version update , in this topic i asked "will firefox find that(in this case) 20111107 version" i don't asked will it find translated version, i only wanted to know will it find new version then it comes.
"Kvailam gimti ne sarmata. Tik mirti kvailam gÄ—da." E. M. Remarkas
"Родиться глупым не стыдно, стыдно только умирать глупцом." Э. М. Ремарк
"To born stupid is not shame, just to die stupid is shameful." E. M. Remarque
"Dumm geboren zu werden ist keine Schande. Nur dumm zu sterben." E. M. Remarque

#4 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (gymka @ Dec 4 2011, 08:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you are wrong(or not understood my question). i did simple experiment:
1. from addons.mozilla.org i downloaded extension "WOT - Know Which Websites to Trust" not latest version which is 20111107 but older 20110704
2. localized downloaded extension(i don't have time to translate, so added "lt" folder and copied there Russian files, because i know only 3 languages)
3. installed my "localized" version and of course i see extension in Russian(because it chooses Lithuanian folder)
4. "firefox->tools->addons->check for updates" and it FOUND 20111107 version update , in this topic i asked "will firefox find that(in this case) 20111107 version" i don't asked will it find translated version, i only wanted to know will it find new version then it comes.

I didn't understand your question (neither of us have English as first language). And my answer was correct, only not to your question . wink.gif

Firefox/Thunderbird and the other Mozilla applications will update to the new version at AMO when it comes. In the install.rdf file you can find the version number and the update URL. Those two are matched when you press "Check for updates". As long as you don't change those your custom version will update to the next standard version when that comes.

Also in the install.rdf file, you find the minVersion and maxVersion values. If you get the message "[…] not compatible with Firefox X.y", you can change the value for maxVersion to make the add-on version compatible (it may still be incompatible for other reasons).

/Lakrits
"[…] och han talar med bönder på böndernas sätt
men med lärde män på latin." – Erik Axel Karlfeldt

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin
Moderator for the Swedish BabelZilla forum section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users