• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

Now that Firefox 4.0 is official, I've spent the past two weeks updating both my theme Classic Compact and Classic Compact Options (the extension this support thread is for). As much as possible I avoided changes to Classic Compact Options that would result in the need to update translations for locales, but I did end up adding one option. Obviously it's been a really long time since I've needed to update things here so I've totally forgotten how to do anything on this site. Rather than totally screwing things up I'll post some questions here first.

Do I need to insert blank ENTITY labels into locale DTDs for the new phrases or should I leave them out? How can I get my extension to default back to English for the new entity labels that have not yet been translated? Where do I update the notes about my add-on? I'd like to upload an updated version of my extension here, but it also requires downloading an updated version of my theme, which has not yet been pushed to addons.mozilla.org as I'm still in the development phase.

The new phrases I need translated for my options panel are:
  • Display toolbar button borders
  • Yes (default, FF2, FF4)
  • No (FF3)
  • Only back/forward
The locales I currently need these phrases translated for are: fr-FR, ja-JP, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, ru-RU & tr-TR
Ken Barbalace
Website development in Saco Maine, EnvironmentalChemistry.com

#42 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (KLB @ Mar 31 2011, 14:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do I need to insert blank ENTITY labels into locale DTDs for the new phrases or should I leave them out?
Please don’t, the WTS will look inside the en-US folder and add the entities automatically.

How can I get my extension to default back to English for the new entity labels that have not yet been translated?
When you download, use ‘strings replaced’.

Where do I update the notes about my add-on?
What do you mean? Any remarks inside the dtd or properties files will be displayed in the WTS. If you are referring to AMO metadata, you can either post a request or add a dtd for this specific purpose. If you are referring to extension metadata in install.rdf (localized tags), those can be inserted and will be parsed by the WTS.

I'd like to upload an updated version of my extension here, but it also requires downloading an updated version of my theme, which has not yet been pushed to addons.mozilla.org as I'm still in the development phase.
No problem, just upload the theme here or post a link to it. We all know that there is a certain risk in testing.

wink.gif

#43 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

Okay, I'm uploading Classic Compact Options 4.0.7. It requires that my theme Classic Compact v4.0.7 also be installed. A test version of it can be downloaded from my website at: http://environmentalchemistry.com/classicc...ct-v4.0.0b1.jar
Ken Barbalace

#44 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Okay, I've uploaded an updated version of Classic Compact Options. However, WTS created a whole new entry for it along with a new forum thread at: http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6641

My hope had been to simply update the XPI file and relevant DTDs. I'm now confused.
Ken Barbalace

#45 Fenian

Fenian

Spiteful Tech Admin

• Admin
  • 4428 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Problem fixed, new extension & topic removed.

The guid of your extension was too long for the (old) WTS.
That's the reason why the uploaded version was a new extension for the WTS.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Unwarranted government surveillance is an intrusion on basic human rights that threatens the very foundations of a democratic society.
-- Tim Berners Lee

#46 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Fenian @ Mar 31 2011, 12:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Problem fixed, new extension & topic removed.

The guid of your extension was too long for the (old) WTS.
That's the reason why the uploaded version was a new extension for the WTS.

Thanks for fixing that. smile.gif

Too bad the translator assignments have been lost. :(
Ken Barbalace

#47 Fenian

Fenian

Spiteful Tech Admin

• Admin
  • 4428 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (KLB @ Mar 31 2011, 19:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too bad the translator assignments have been lost. :(

I don't think they are lost.
We changed some language codes e.g. we use de, fr, nl, pl instead of de-DE, fr-FR, nl-NL and pl-PL.
I guess you can find the translators when you click on the new code.

The WTS has sent notification mails to 13 translators
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Unwarranted government surveillance is an intrusion on basic human rights that threatens the very foundations of a democratic society.
-- Tim Berners Lee

#48 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Fenian @ Mar 31 2011, 13:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think they are lost.
We changed some language codes e.g. we use de, fr, nl, pl instead of de-DE, fr-FR, nl-NL and pl-PL.
I guess you can find the translators when you click on the new code.

The WTS has sent notification mails to 13 translators

Excellent!
rockon.gif
Ken Barbalace

#49 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Dutch (nl) locale updated. Please change "nl-NL" in chrome.manifest, install.rdf and the locale sub folder to "nl" as Fenian mentioned in his post.

#50 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Alf @ Mar 31 2011, 15:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dutch (nl) locale updated. Please change "nl-NL" in chrome.manifest, install.rdf and the locale sub folder to "nl" as Fenian mentioned in his post.

Awesome! Thank you. I have changed the folder name as instructed.
Ken Barbalace

#51 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

A very big thank you to everyone who has been updating the translations for Classic Compact Options so quickly. Just as soon as I see a translation is complete I've been updating my DTDs.

FYI right now the most critical DTDs to complete are:
prefwindow.dtd
classiccompactoptions.dtd
about.dtd

The DTD AMO_descriptions.dtd should wait to be translated as I need to update that text, which I can't do until I've pushed the extension to AMO and know how that text needs to change. Whatever changes I make to this text it will be as minimal as possible so that it isn't hard to update translations.
Ken Barbalace

#52 DakSrbija

DakSrbija

Advanced Member

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

Serbian (sr) localization has been released.

#53 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (DakSrbija @ Apr 3 2011, 08:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Serbian (sr) localization has been released.

Excellent, thank you! I'll add this to the next release.
Ken Barbalace

#54 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

This is just a heads up to my plans.

Currently I'm working on getting a Firefox 4 compatible version of my theme Classic Compact and Classic Compact Options pushed to addons.mozilla.org. What I'm finding, however, is that the terminology for some options need to be refined.

In order to get my updates out the door quickly, I'm holding off on changing terminology of the options in Classic Compact Options, this way there don't need to be as many translation updates. There are only a few additions that I've already uploaded here.

Once this first update is pushed out, I'm going to work on cleaning up the terminology of some of my options (as few changes as I can). I will also have to update my AMO descriptions to reflect how things have changed. Again, I will make as few changes as I can as I do realize translating takes a lot of work (my wife is a Russian/English translator).

By holding off on the changes to the text for my addons it will allow time for translations to take place without there being an unreasonable rush to get them completed.
Ken Barbalace

#55 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

I've just uploaded a development build of Classic Compact Options 4.0.9. Several new strings were added and the text of some other strings changed. There are also four text files with addons.mozilla.org descriptions that need to be added to the WTS entry for CCO, but I'm having problems with this.

My planned release date for v4.0.9 is May 23rd.

To try this extension out to see what the new options do you will also need to install the latest build of its companion theme Classic Compact, which can be downloaded from: http://environmentalchemistry.com/classiccompact4.0.jar
Ken Barbalace

#56 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

I just uploaded a new build of Classic Compact Options (v4.0.9b7.1). From yesterday's build this build adds one string to the "prefwindow.dtd" and adds in four new text files that need to be translated for addons.mozilla.org.

Two of the text files contain some HTML, but I've tried to format these files so that it is easier to work around the HTML tags. Hopefully these will be the last changes to locale strings before I release this update somewhere around May 23rd.

Thank you for everyone's help on this.
Ken Barbalace

#57 DakSrbija

DakSrbija

Advanced Member

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:47 PM

hcOptionsM4.label in prefwindow.dtd
CODE
-4 (Are you crazy?)

post-13-1248464469.gif I always appreciate developer's sense of humor.

#58 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (DakSrbija @ May 6 2011, 14:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hcOptionsM4.label in prefwindow.dtd
CODE
-4 (Are you crazy?)

post-13-1248464469.gif I always appreciate developer's sense of humor.

I was trying to think of option labels where the humor would translate well.

Have you tried that option? If you put the URL bar in the menu bar and then set the menu bar to -4 you end up with a 12px high URL bar. I'm just waiting for someone to come along and tell me "you could make it more compact if". I also wonder how long it will take for someone to ask for a -6 option. I'd have to label it "microscope required".
Ken Barbalace

#59 alfapegasi

alfapegasi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

As you might be aware "tr-TR" translations are converted to "tr". I have converted tr-TR strings to tr and resigned from tr-TR. So you can disregard the tr-TR altogether.

In short; tr is released smile.gif

However, I have noticed that only one locale translated the extra AMO files. I have tried to locate the English text (it is missing even in extension's directory locale/en-US) with no success. I know, it has to be copied from the web. However, it would be really easier just to copy it from /the/ extension itself (see my second question as well).

Second question: what is the difference between these four files:
AMO-CC_Long_Description.txt
AMO-CC_Short_Description.txt
AMO-CCO_Long_Description.txt
AMO-CCO_Short_Description.txt

cheers,

Sinan.

#60 KLB

KLB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (alfapegasi @ Oct 31 2011, 08:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As you might be aware "tr-TR" translations are converted to "tr". I have converted tr-TR strings to tr and resigned from tr-TR. So you can disregard the tr-TR altogether.

In short; tr is released smile.gif

Thank you I'll be rolling this into my extension very shortly.

QUOTE (alfapegasi @ Oct 31 2011, 08:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, I have noticed that only one locale translated the extra AMO files. I have tried to locate the English text (it is missing even in extension's directory locale/en-US) with no success. I know, it has to be copied from the web. However, it would be really easier just to copy it from /the/ extension itself (see my second question as well).

Second question: what is the difference between these four files:
AMO-CC_Long_Description.txt
AMO-CC_Short_Description.txt
AMO-CCO_Long_Description.txt
AMO-CCO_Short_Description.txt

The extra files are the short and long descriptions for my theme and extension on the addons.mozilla.org website. AMO-CC is for my theme and AMO-CCO is the extension. Much of the text in AMO-CC_Long_Description.txt overlaps with prefwindow.dtd so the overlapping sections can simply be copied and pasted from prefwindow.dtd.
Ken Barbalace

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users