51 replies to this topic

#21 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Newcomer01 @ Jul 5 2011, 21:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you apply this corrected (with UTF-8 Head) help in the Base of the WTS?
My en-US Version that i have attached was the UTF-8 corrected "head tag" too.
Its better when all files can be generated in WTS when start a new translation...
ch-CN (current translation), ru and fr the help are not displayed / generated?
-> please fix all present BUGs if you can.
Thank you!

Done. The missing help files are simply not there, but they will display in English when missing. This is not a bug, it is normal behaviour. By the way, the previous file I uploaded was recoded into UTF-8/UNIX, but it should be UTF-8/DOS for it to be displayed. Apologies.
While the bankers all get their bonuses I’ll just get along with what I’ve got

#22 Marky Mark DE

Marky Mark DE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (markh @ Jul 5 2011, 23:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Done. The missing help files are simply not there, but they will display in English when missing. This is not a bug, it is normal behaviour. By the way, the previous file I uploaded was recoded into UTF-8/UNIX, but it should be UTF-8/DOS for it to be displayed. Apologies.

thanks for your Assistance ;-)

#23 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Swedish locale (sv-SE) added and released.
"[…] och han talar med bönder på böndernas sätt
men med lärde män på latin." – Erik Axel Karlfeldt

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin
Moderator for the Swedish BabelZilla forum section

#24 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Newcomer01 @ Jun 29 2011, 20:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Note: Some Phrases in Locales (smarttemplate.dtd) are unfortunly translated by google Translator by this reason it would be nice, if you can review and test your translation.
When you have reviewed/test you translation, please set the Status in WTS to released.
Thank you!

That makes the language used very ugly. You probably had your reasons for this, but please try not to do that again, as it will give a very bad user experience. Use of the original English strings would probably have been better dry.gif

#25 Akilles

Akilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

I can't test my translation atm because I get a XML parsing error in the options dialog. I'm using TB 10.0.2 with clean profile.
I've attached picture of the options dialog with error.

(language in the dialog is Finnish as you might have guessed but it says the error is on line 67, column 12 if that's helpful at all)

#26 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (Akilles @ Feb 21 2012, 14:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't test my translation atm because I get a XML parsing error in the options dialog. I'm using TB 10.0.2 with clean profile.
I've attached picture of the options dialog with error.

(language in the dialog is Finnish as you might have guessed but it says the error is on line 67, column 12 if that's helpful at all)

Moi, kaveri smile.gif

The only thing in the string pref_html.label (smartTemplate.dtd) that could cause that error is the < and > characters in the HTML coding tags. But I don't know if you can use the lt and gt entities for it and still get the result you want inside the program. Worst case: Just remove the HTML tags.

Otherwise it's a character encoding error (it should be UTF-8 without BOM and not ANSI, which sometimes is the standard encoding in external editors).

Micke

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin

#27 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (Lakrits @ Feb 21 2012, 16:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moi, kaveri smile.gif

The only thing in the string pref_html.label (smartTemplate.dtd) that could cause that error is the < and > characters in the HTML coding tags. But I don't know if you can use the lt and gt entities for it and still get the result you want inside the program. Worst case: Just remove the HTML tags.

Otherwise it's a character encoding error (it should be UTF-8 without BOM and not ANSI, which sometimes is the standard encoding in external editors).

Micke

That’s exactly it. The < and > can be replaced by their HTML codes to get the desired result. This is the case for three strings, not only this one!

#28 Marky Mark DE

Marky Mark DE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (markh @ Feb 21 2012, 16:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That’s exactly it. The < and > can be replaced by their HTML codes to get the desired result. This is the case for three strings, not only this one!

Yes but unfortunly i need the code examples in the addon which are displayed as the encoded (to HTML) one.
Those Phrases inside the addon
<b>bold</b>
<br> or for this Phrase
The Phrase in cambered Brackets {Cc: %cc(name)%} will only displayed if the variable %(name)% can be replaced
and other ones

those signs must replaced inside the dtd files with their entities (without spaces)
% = & # 37;
{ = & # 123;
} = & # 125;
< = & lt;
> = & gt;
and insteat of quoting marks like " " or ` ´ it is better to use the apostrophe '
otherwise you get this parsing error...
If you type this it as entitie inside the WTS System, those signs will be paste encoded in the export file too, mybe an fix inside this system will be great, you type e.g < br > and other, the System paste by automatically such signs in the file with the right entities cool.gif

I don't have an other idea for an workarround only as to export and change this inside the dtd file direct.

To find an other formular for the Phrases can be an other idea but i don't know that the sense of this phrases is in every locale the self if i change the Phrase and set this problematic strings in the xul direct and build the pharses arround them (Phrase split)....
Example:
The Phrase in cambered Brackets (ENTITY String for locale)
{Cc: %cc(name)%} (inside the xul code)
will only displayed if the variable (ENTITY String for locale)
%(name)% (inside the xul code)
can be replaced (ENTITY String again for locale)

but this is an job for an guy who has slay down father and mother...german collucation and means horror job, punishment
- simpler is to change those sings in the file biggrin.gif

I change the codes byself and test byself no problem, i know about this problems but i can't change if i need the encoded results.
UTF-8 without BOM makes some trouble but this is the only format in which i can realize locale.
Sorry for the problems which i make.

#29 Akilles

Akilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Now everything I translated is gone in WTS =\ Fortunately I have a local backup.

This might be some kind of bug in the WTS as it says in "My Translation" page that everything is translated (100%) but when I actually go to the locale files nothing is translated.

#30 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Akilles @ Feb 22 2012, 16:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now everything I translated is gone in WTS =\ Fortunately I have a local backup.

This might be some kind of bug in the WTS as it says in "My Translation" page that everything is translated (100%) but when I actually go to the locale files nothing is translated.

Yep, the progress bars are notoriously unreliable, and it's a bug we know of. Sometimes they are green because the developer adds English strings to all locale files.

But as you have experienced the progress bars can't be used alone, you have to check the files anyway. Paskatilapalkki. wink.gif

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin

#31 Akilles

Akilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. I was successful at the testing of the translation (thanks to the advice I got here) so I uploaded the locale files to the WTS and set the translation status to Released.

@Lakrits: Almost proper Finnish. It should be "paskat tilapalkit" =)

#32 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (Akilles @ Feb 22 2012, 22:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fennoswede raised in Sweden. Haven't spoken Finnish since I was about 6 years old smile.gif

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin

#33 Marky Mark DE

Marky Mark DE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Akilles @ Feb 22 2012, 22:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, thanks for the info. I was successful at the testing of the translation (thanks to the advice I got here) so I uploaded the locale files to the WTS and set the translation status to Released.

Thanks for, i have test too and added the new locale to SmartTemplate4.
Feel free to enjoy them if we publish the new Version on AMO ;-)
I think i will change a little more before publish ;-)
Now i will upload the current version in the WTS in all locale i have add an new "Additional"
and i hope that you can check your translation again, i'm not sure that you have see this before... yes this was really the last change for now ;-)
<!ENTITY specform_note.label "The Phrase inside the cambered Brackets & # 123;Cc: & # 37;cc(name)& # 37;& # 125; will only displayed if the variable & # 37;cc(name)& # 37; can be replaced!">
This The Phrase inside the cambered Brackets is new in all locale (Google Translator again), i don't know why i have oversee this in the english one but now the Phrase is complete ;-)
Sometimes i hate myself ;-)

By this reason i have set all finished/published locale to "needs review" again... sorry!

#34 Akilles

Akilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Finnish translation is done. As markh mentioned a few posts back, please don't use Google translator as it is harder to spot untranslated (or rather google-translated) strings from already translated strings.

#35 Marky Mark DE

Marky Mark DE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Akilles @ Feb 23 2012, 15:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finnish translation is done. As markh mentioned a few posts back, please don't use Google translator as it is harder to spot untranslated (or rather google-translated) strings from already translated strings.

yes but the problem is, that many translators need to much time to check/review her translations and i have to publish new versions.... should i publish incomplete files?
Yes i know too that other addon developer do this like this, but i think thats bad for users of this locale
In this case i translate with Google that i have better wrong things as nothing...
Hope you understand my line of thought

#36 Akilles

Akilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Actually I don't. Google's translation for English->Finnish is so crappy that it is actually much better if the missing strings were in English than in confusing or wrong Finnish. In this case in Google's translation had some of the words in wrong grammatical case and some weren't translated at all. When the words have typos or other mistakes in programs, it gives off a cheap impression and that is something not a dev wants..
Google's translation is OK if you roughly want to know what is said in the text that is in a foreign language that you can't understand but it's not good for a proper translation.

#37 Marky Mark DE

Marky Mark DE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Akilles @ Feb 23 2012, 22:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually I don't. Google's translation for English->Finnish is so crappy that it is actually much better if the missing strings were in English than in confusing or wrong Finnish. In this case in Google's translation had some of the words in wrong grammatical case and some weren't translated at all. When the words have typos or other mistakes in programs, it gives off a cheap impression and that is something not a dev wants..
Google's translation is OK if you roughly want to know what is said in the text that is in a foreign language that you can't understand but it's not good for a proper translation.

yes i understand your problem, you think it's better to mix english with the included language e.g english and finnish (only in this example here)?
What is with the solution which i made here right now?
To say hey here in ENTITY .... in this Phrase .... i have made changes, can you check your translation? is this better and more easy to handle for translators?
I do copy the true Phrase from english that you can see what the true descrition of it is....to find it in the file was not the biggest problem i think
And if i paste new ENTITY's, it will be only in english included that an translator see which string is new to translate

#38 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Marky Mark DE @ Feb 24 2012, 12:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes i understand your problem, you think it's better to mix english with the included language e.g english and finnish (only in this example here)?
What is with the solution which i made here right now?
To say hey here in ENTITY .... in this Phrase .... i have made changes, can you check your translation? is this better and more easy to handle for translators?
I do copy the true Phrase from english that you can see what the true descrition of it is....to find it in the file was not the biggest problem i think
And if i paste new ENTITY's, it will be only in english included that an translator see which string is new to translate

Any new strings do not need to be pre-filled with either English or (machine-)translated strings, as long as they are added to the en-US files. The WTS will recognize the newly added strings and display them to translators as untranslated. This helps translators identify new strings easily, whereas if they are already prefilled they will need to look for either English text where it shouldn’t be, or check the strings on grammatical correctness. Most translators do not like to do that, and only having to add the strings to en-US will save you a lot of effort trying to already come up with (mostly awkward) translations.
If you want to publish incomplete locales to AMO because you want to implement new features or so, it is up to you to decide what to do. The preferred way would be to upload a beta here, get your translations and THEN upload to AMO. You can set a deadline and ask translators to provide their work prior to that date. After that, any incomplete locales can either be left out of the published extension or completed with English strings (an option would be to download the locale files from the WTS with missing strings replaced).
Anyway, if you use machine translation in a public version, you may also be hurting the translators’ feelings. Since you are stating their nicks in the About window, they might publicly be (incorrectly) depicted as bad translators using machine translation wink.gif

#39 Marky Mark DE

Marky Mark DE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (markh @ Feb 24 2012, 14:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any new strings do not need to be pre-filled with either English or (machine-)translated strings, as long as they are added to the en-US files. The WTS will recognize the newly added strings and display them to translators as untranslated. This helps translators identify new strings easily, whereas if they are already prefilled they will need to look for either English text where it shouldn’t be, or check the strings on grammatical correctness. Most translators do not like to do that, and only having to add the strings to en-US will save you a lot of effort trying to already come up with (mostly awkward) translations.
If you want to publish incomplete locales to AMO because you want to implement new features or so, it is up to you to decide what to do. The preferred way would be to upload a beta here, get your translations and THEN upload to AMO. You can set a deadline and ask translators to provide their work prior to that date. After that, any incomplete locales can either be left out of the published extension or completed with English strings (an option would be to download the locale files from the WTS with missing strings replaced).
Anyway, if you use machine translation in a public version, you may also be hurting the translators’ feelings. Since you are stating their nicks in the About window, they might publicly be (incorrectly) depicted as bad translators using machine translation wink.gif

okay hope i do it right in the future wink.gif
Can you check this ENTITY
specform_note.label and set it after to released?
This was the last time that i paste things from google translator - promised!
And this Phrase was the last in which i have made changes since the last review...

NOTE: right now i have upload an changed version again, in all locale in which i have made changes and paste things from google translator, which are NOT reviewed right now i have set in the localized area in install.rdf <em:translator>Google Translator</em:translator> insteat of the Translator's Nick of BabelZilla.
Hope that's in our sense.
If the locale reviewed/fixed can set this Translator his Nick in install.rdf again.
With this solution is it impossible that an Translator which have translated an previous Version, shame on with his translation and my additional things from google trans wink.gif
I'm so sorry, don't have think about before!

#40 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Marky Mark DE @ Feb 24 2012, 14:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
okay hope i do it right in the future wink.gif
Can you check this ENTITY
specform_note.label and set it after to released?
This was the last time that i paste things from google translator - promised!
And this Phrase was the last in which i have made changes since the last review...

NOTE: right now i have upload an changed version again, in all locale in which i have made changes and paste things from google translator, which are NOT reviewed right now i have set in the localized area in install.rdf <em:translator>Google Translator</em:translator> insteat of the Translator's Nick of BabelZilla.
Hope that's in our sense.
If the locale reviewed/fixed can set this Translator his Nick in install.rdf again.
With this solution is it impossible that an Translator which have translated an previous Version, shame on with his translation and my additional things from google trans wink.gif
I'm so sorry, don't have think about before!

No worries. I case you are curious about the functionalities of the WTS, you may find our Wiki an informative place wink.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users