#101 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (teo @ Nov 7 2011, 16:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@David,
I intentionally removed options names from addonOptions.properties file. These names are in my opinion redundant. Please open prefs.js file and read some first lines – Do not edit this file… Also when you open Config Editor you are warnings: This might void your warranty! Sorry, but options names in the information windows are redundant. These names are for advanced users, not for common users, so please don't add these names in the Polish locale.

Teo, thanks for the response.

It was my intent to make this information available because people do sometimes edit the prefs.js file even though it is an advanced step to take. Even if they do not edit the prefs.js file directly, they can do so via the config editor and so this information may prove of value to some users. If it is not, a user can easily ignore the information. But if it has been removed, the advanced user may suffer.

I guess I am a little confused about the role of translator here. I basically thought the role was to translate, not edit or otherwise alter the addon author's intent. Clearly it is the role of the translator to substitute better phrasing in cases where a literal translation of the English does not work well in the target language. But I have to say that deciding that some provided information is simply not something the translator wants to include seems to go beyond the role as I envision it.

Of course, these things are and should be topics for discussion and possible improvement, along with layouts of preference windows and any other aspect of the addon. But to me there is a big difference between discussing and reaching a mutual decision with the author and unilaterally taking such action.

Perhaps my view is incorrect. But I have not encountered other translators taking this sort of liberty.

David

#102 maurojs10

maurojs10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (whitedavidp @ Nov 7 2011, 22:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Teo, thanks for the response.

It was my intent to make this information available because people do sometimes edit the prefs.js file even though it is an advanced step to take. Even if they do not edit the prefs.js file directly, they can do so via the config editor and so this information may prove of value to some users. If it is not, a user can easily ignore the information. But if it has been removed, the advanced user may suffer.

I guess I am a little confused about the role of translator here. I basically thought the role was to translate, not edit or otherwise alter the addon author's intent. Clearly it is the role of the translator to substitute better phrasing in cases where a literal translation of the English does not work well in the target language. But I have to say that deciding that some provided information is simply not something the translator wants to include seems to go beyond the role as I envision it.

Of course, these things are and should be topics for discussion and possible improvement, along with layouts of preference windows and any other aspect of the addon. But to me there is a big difference between discussing and reaching a mutual decision with the author and unilaterally taking such action.

Perhaps my view is incorrect. But I have not encountered other translators taking this sort of liberty.

David

As for the pt-BR locale, the option names were not removed from "addonOptions.properties". I just rephrased the messages in order to display them in multiple lines. As a result, the option names can be found right after "\n\nParâmetro:".

The reason why I did that is because I thought the original messages seemed odd and uninviting for an average user. Now I see that this may have been the original intention. unsure.gif

David, if you want or need the pt-BR messages to follow the original format, please just tell me so and I will change them back as soon as I can.

#103 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (maurojs10 @ Nov 7 2011, 19:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the pt-BR locale, the option names were not removed from "addonOptions.properties". I just rephrased the messages in order to display them in multiple lines. As a result, the option names can be found right after "\n\nParâmetro:".

The reason why I did that is because I thought the original message seemed odd and uninviting for an average user. Now I see that this may have been the original intention. unsure.gif

David, if you want or need the pt-BR messages to follow the original format, please just tell me so and I will change them back as soon as I can.

Thanks. I guess I did not see them. I was searching for the format in use in the other locales. This is fine by me. I just want the info to be available. I need them to be prefixed with "extensions." so they read extensions.thunderplunger and such. I can do that here. This should all be there when I upload the next version. Cheers, David

#104 maurojs10

maurojs10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (whitedavidp @ Nov 8 2011, 00:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. I guess I did not see them. I was searching for the format in use in the other locales. This is fine by me. I just want the info to be available. I need them to be prefixed with "extensions." so they read extensions.thunderplunger and such. I can do that here. This should all be there when I upload the next version. Cheers, David

In this case, I must let you know that I did the same rephrasing for Thunderbird Biff and Use Bcc Instead.

Regards.

#105 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (maurojs10 @ Nov 7 2011, 19:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In this case, I must let you know that I did the same rephrasing for Thunderbird Biff and Use Bcc Instead.

Regards.

Thanks. No problem. I created UseBccInstead after the Mozilla requirements changed so that should be ok. I am also updating ThunderbirdBiff and I just made the changes there as well. I don't think I have a need to actually release an update for it. But in case I do in the future, it will be ready to comply with the new Mozilla rules. Cheers!

#106 teo

teo

XUL Warrior & Layout Fakir

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 1437 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

@whitedavidp,
My patron is St. Jerome which said:

verbum e verbo, sed sensum exprimere de sensu

IMHO info windows are for common users. Information in this window should these type of users describe options. You wrote help file and imho in this file should be information for advanced users. Extensions user interface imho should be simple, clear and corresponding with application GUI for which extension is designed.
I'm also extensions developer and first I pay attention for common users, and ask himself "This is clear? Common users will understand what I tought? What this option mean?". Advanced users know where looking for hidden options, and what is about:config.
You wrote me about not drawing groupboxes outline in Linux. This is Linux native behavior. Do you know how many are Linux users? How many Linux users are using Firefox? If not, please see statistics.
This is mine opinion, you are this extension developer, and you decide about extension GUI, but about translation imho should decide translator. IMHO if you want include in the information window any information for advanced users you should write something like "For advanced users: preference_name is this preference name." Common user will know that this is information only for advanced users, not for him. Now this user see first unreadable string and think - What is this? You are developer and you know what is this - for you this is very clear, but not for common user, so I as guilty of translation removed these strings. Please don't be angry with me, I want only make good translation for Polish users or maybe you change text for better comprehension for all.
Teo

#107 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (teo @ Nov 10 2011, 01:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@whitedavidp,

verbum e verbo, sed sensum exprimere de sensu

IMHO info windows are for common users.

I speak some latin. However, I suspect most common users (or anyone really) don't, so here's a rough translation of the quote and the paragraph preceding it in the original text.

St. Hieronymus (Jerome in English) wrote (the text preceding the famous part of the quote and context remarks in brackets):

[Ego enim non solum fateor, sed libera voce profiteor me in interpretatione graecorum absque scripturis sanctis, ubi etiam verborum ordo mysterium est,]
non verbum e verbo, sed sensum exprimere de sensu.

… which roughly translates to:

[I don't simply suggest, but freely state that when translating from Greek, except for the holy scriptures, where even the order of the words is a mystery,]
[I do] not [translate] word for word, but express the sentiment [of the words in the text] according to their meaning.

"[…] och han talar med bönder på böndernas sätt
men med lärde män på latin." – Erik Axel Karlfeldt

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin
Moderator for the Swedish BabelZilla forum section

#108 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (teo @ Nov 9 2011, 17:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@whitedavidp,

IMHO info windows are for common users. Information in this window should these type of users describe options. You wrote help file and imho in this file should be information for advanced users. Extensions user interface imho should be simple, clear and corresponding with application GUI for which extension is designed.
I'm also extensions developer and first I pay attention for common users, and ask himself "This is clear? Common users will understand what I tought? What this option mean?". Advanced users know where looking for hidden options, and what is about:config.
You wrote me about not drawing groupboxes outline in Linux. This is Linux native behavior. Do you know how many are Linux users? How many Linux users are using Firefox? If not, please see statistics.
This is mine opinion, you are this extension developer, and you decide about extension GUI, but about translation imho should decide translator. IMHO if you want include in the information window any information for advanced users you should write something like "For advanced users: preference_name is this preference name." Common user will know that this is information only for advanced users, not for him. Now this user see first unreadable string and think - What is this? You are developer and you know what is this - for you this is very clear, but not for common user, so I as guilty of translation removed these strings. Please don't be angry with me, I want only make good translation for Polish users or maybe you change text for better comprehension for all.

Teo,

I am not angry with you at all. I have solved the problem by taking it out of the realm of translation. This is now under program control and is not left up to the translator at all. So in my latest release (see the 2.9.x fiasco), you should not see this information in the files to be localized (except in pt-BR where they were moved around and I ask that the translator for that locale to remove them and reformat as needed). Actually, this is a much better solution than having that information in the localized files. So thank you for making me think this through to a better result.

#109 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (whitedavidp @ Nov 17 2011, 16:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Teo,

I am not angry with you at all. I have solved the problem by taking it out of the realm of translation. This is now under program control and is not left up to the translator at all. So in my latest release (see the 2.9.x fiasco), you should not see this information in the files to be localized (except in pt-BR where they were moved around and I ask that the translator for that locale to remove them and reformat as needed). Actually, this is a much better solution than having that information in the localized files. So thank you for making me think this through to a better result.

Oh, and I plan to do the same in the next versions of my other addons. Cheers!

#110 teo

teo

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 1437 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

@whitedavidp
I'm happy that you not angry with me. smile.gif Sorry for my delay, but I'm very busy these days. I will have some spare time in the weekend and prepare version with my prefwindow, and some language changes.

Teo

#111 teo

teo

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 1437 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

Thanks Mikael for explanation. I think that this quotation can be BabelZilla keynote too.

Teo

#112 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (teo @ Nov 18 2011, 02:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Mikael for explanation. I think that this quotation can be BabelZilla keynote too.

You're welcome. I translated it from the Latin directly to English, although it's much easier for me to translate into Swedish (old words and all that). But I just found a translation to English online that came to the same conclusions as I.

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin

#113 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:10 AM

On my sv-SE locale files page for ThunderPlunger, every progress meter is in green. And they should be considering the fact that all the files are up-to-date.
However, under the "My translations" tab at the WTS portal page, ThunderPlunger reports 39 untranslated strings. Why is that?

/Lakrits

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin

#114 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (Lakrits @ Nov 22 2011, 19:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On my sv-SE locale files page for ThunderPlunger, every progress meter is in green. And they should be considering the fact that all the files are up-to-date.
However, under the "My translations" tab at the WTS portal page, ThunderPlunger reports 39 untranslated strings. Why is that?

/Lakrits

I believe that with the naming changes forced on my by Mozilla followed by multiple uploads to "fix" my own errors in not getting all the renames correct, I greatly confused the system. I have mentioned this to Goofy a while ago and he was going to tell the tech staff. David

#115 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE (whitedavidp @ Nov 23 2011, 03:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that with the naming changes forced on my by Mozilla followed by multiple uploads to "fix" my own errors in not getting all the renames correct, I greatly confused the system. I have mentioned this to Goofy a while ago and he was going to tell the tech staff. David

Åhå. Thanks for the quick reply!

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin

#116 Underpass

Underpass

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hello David,

I have version 2.9.2 installed and it seems that *EVERY* Ctrl+(key) shortcut is not working... Disabling Thunderplunger make them work again. Could you check? I'm using

CODE
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:8.0) Gecko/20111105 Thunderbird/8.0
build 20111105021619

Thanks smile.gif
"Gold scissors cut the ribbon and set them loose. On the opening day the vibrations will shake your bones.
But I suppose it's the disadvantage of not speaking a second language." (Wire)

#117 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Underpass @ Dec 8 2011, 08:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello David,

I have version 2.9.2 installed and it seems that *EVERY* Ctrl+(key) shortcut is not working... Disabling Thunderplunger make them work again. Could you check? I'm using

CODE
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:8.0) Gecko/20111105 Thunderbird/8.0
build 20111105021619

Thanks smile.gif

Hi and thanks for this note. I have not personally tested on TB 8 yet. I got notification from Mozilla that it was compatible through version 9. New versions come out so frequently now it is hard (if not impossible) to keep up. I will check into this for sure. But having only Windows computers, I cannot say what, if anything, Linux has to do with things. One thing to check right now is if turning off TP's Mark All Read function and restarting (leaving the rest of TP active) changes anything for you. Also, please let me know what shortcut key you have set so I can explicitly test that. I am personally using CTRL-LEFT. David

PS - I have tested here on both TB 2.x and 7.x using the above shortcut. In both cases, things like CTRL-R (reply) seem to work just fine. I am updating my 7.x to 8.x now and will report.

PPS - I have tested on TB 8.x using the above shortcut and CTRL-R works fine. Do you see anything in the error console? I see no reason why TP should be messing-up all CTRL shortcuts. But it must be for you somehow. Don't want that!

#118 Underpass

Underpass

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hi David,

I am on the run so I answer you quickly:

1) I turned off the option and I have the same behaviour

2) I have nothing in the error console

3) I left the keyboard shortcut undefined

Possibly there is a clash with some other extension, when I have time I'll check every other extension while keeping TP enabled.
Thanks, bye smile.gif

Simon

edit: the problem seems to be the fact that the shortcut option is left undefined, even if it is not active. Phew...! wink.gif
"Gold scissors cut the ribbon and set them loose. On the opening day the vibrations will shake your bones.
But I suppose it's the disadvantage of not speaking a second language." (Wire)

#119 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Underpass @ Dec 8 2011, 10:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi David,

I am on the run so I answer you quickly:

1) I turned off the option and I have the same behaviour

2) I have nothing in the error console

3) I left the keyboard shortcut undefined

Possibly there is a clash with some other extension, when I have time I'll check every other extension while keeping TP enabled.
Thanks, bye smile.gif

Simon

edit: the problem seems to be the fact that the shortcut option is left undefined, even if it is not active. Phew...! wink.gif

Thanks. There was indeed an error in my code. That "undefined" was not expected. I will post again here with an updated .xpi attached.

#120 whitedavidp

whitedavidp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (whitedavidp @ Dec 8 2011, 11:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. There was indeed an error in my code. That "undefined" was not expected. I will post again here with an updated .xpi attached.

Seems that something changed in Mozilla code at some point between versions and I never noticed it. At any rate, the issue is fixed in the attached .xpi file. You will need, however, to open the addon's option panel, ensure that --none-- is selected for the shortcut (if you don't want any), close the panel and restart TB. That should get you back on-track. Sorry for the trouble and THANKS for the bug report. Yikes!

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users