129 replies to this topic

#81 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (milupo @ Jan 31 2012, 06:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if I shall translate the sentence A short tutorial video is vailable. from the Babelzilla infomail. To be on the safe side I translated it.

Oops. Yes, it should say the same as the email. Fixed.

#82 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Here you go for Dutch:
CODE
Er is een korte instructievideo beschikbaar (Engelstalig).

While the bankers all get their bonuses I’ll just get along with what I’ve got

#83 Grg68

Grg68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

Hi all here..! smile.gif

Daniel,
once more i have to tell you congratulations for the completeness of your great work!
You not only just created a very good extension but also you take care to support all
users as far it's possible to do so by your part.
That's very good and a paradigm to lead others!
Your new tutorial video is excellent, very comprehensive even for very newbies.
I liked it very much!
I updated my previous post with Greek AMO page, to be all together.
Now, regardless if it's easy for you or possible to make Greek video, could you please
give me the subtitles to have them?? rolleyes.gif

Have a nice time..

Grg

#84 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Grg68 @ Jan 31 2012, 16:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, regardless if it's easy for you or possible to make Greek video, could you please
give me the subtitles to have them?? rolleyes.gif

Sure. YouTube does allow for foreign language subtitles, after all. I'll post the caption file here. I'm not sure how you want to go about this. Of course, the ideal (short of doing a complete version in another language, that is) would be to have subtitles that are timed for the translation, so the text is broken naturally along certain phrase boundaries, but I can't expect you to go to that much trouble. Well, do what you feel comfortable doing.

Attached Files

#85 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (markh @ Jan 31 2012, 10:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here you go for Dutch:
CODE

Thanks. Could I possibly get you to translate the whole long description (the new one)? It's in the OP.

#86 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (ddawson @ Feb 1 2012, 10:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. Could I possibly get you to translate the whole long description (the new one)? It's in the OP.

Ouch, I thought I had already done that. Here you go:

Brief:
Voegt de mogelijkheid toe om aanmeldgegevens in de wachtwoordbeheerder toe te voegen en te bewerken.

Long:
Met deze extensie kunt u gegevens invoeren in de database van de Wachtwoordbeheerder database in plaats van erop te vertrouwen dat Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, enz. dit doet, en bestaande gegevens bewerken. Voor webformulieren is dit het typische gebruik:
  1. Navigeer naar de pagina met het aanmeldformulier.
  2. Rechtsklik op één van de velden en selecteer uit “Aanmeldinformatie opslaan” (om nieuwe gegevens op te slaan), “Aanmeldinformatie bewerken” en “Aanmeldinformatie verwijderen”.
  3. Als een ander pop-upvenster verschijnt, selecteer dan de gebruikersnaam voor de aanmelding die u wilt gebruiken.
  4. Bij toevoegen van nieuwe gegevens zou alles behalve de gebruikersnaam en het wachtwoord automatisch moeten worden ingevuld. Vul alle ontbrekende of onjuiste gegevens in.
  5. Herlaad bij toevoegen of bewerken van gegevens de pagina of kom later terug. Als het formulier niet automatisch wordt gevuld, vraagt de pagina waarschijnlijk de browser niet om deze automatisch te vullen door autocomplete="off" te declareren. Probeer twee keer op het veld gebruikersnaam te klikken en uit de dropdownlijst te selecteren. Er is een video waarin deze workaround wordt gedemonstreerd.

Deze add-on voegt ook opdrachten toe aan het Wachtwoordbeheerdersvenster, deze zijn toegankelijk via Extra > Opgeslagen wachtwoorden en via een werkbalkknop.

Als u ondersteuning nodig hebt, stuur me dan een e-mailbericht (de koppeling vindt u op de detailspagina, naast deze beschrijving). Gebruik hier nooit een beoordeling voor, aangezien ik u dan niet kan bereiken. Lees voor alle overige zaken de Ontwikkelaarsopmerkingen onderaan de detailspagina.

#87 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (markh @ Feb 1 2012, 02:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ouch, I thought I had already done that.

Apparently not. I couldn't find it in the thread or my inbox. But thanks again. I've put up the new descriptions. I hope it wasn't too much trouble.

#88 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

markh had a good point in his translation of the new string.

ddawson, could you add this to the end of the Swedish one (before the full stop):

CODE
(på engelska)

… which means "(in English)".
"[…] och han talar med bönder på böndernas sätt
men med lärde män på latin." – Erik Axel Karlfeldt

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin
Moderator for the Swedish BabelZilla forum section

#89 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Lakrits @ Feb 1 2012, 05:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ddawson, could you add this to the end of the Swedish one (before the full stop):

CODE
(på engelska)

… which means "(in English)".

Done.

#90 milupo

milupo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

A good idea adding the translation for (in English(:

eo: (angle)
hsb: (jendźelsce)
dsb: (engelski)

@ddawson: Please add it to the sentence. Thank you.

milupo

#91 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (ddawson @ Feb 1 2012, 09:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure. YouTube does allow for foreign language subtitles, after all. I'll post the caption file here. I'm not sure how you want to go about this. Of course, the ideal (short of doing a complete version in another language, that is) would be to have subtitles that are timed for the translation, so the text is broken naturally along certain phrase boundaries, but I can't expect you to go to that much trouble. Well, do what you feel comfortable doing.

Here’s for Dutch; hope it turns out OK!

#92 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (markh @ Feb 1 2012, 23:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here’s for Dutch; hope it turns out OK!

Works well. I've added it to the video. There's one oddity I noticed:
HZo kunt u de extra functies in "Opgeslagen wachtwoorden" gebruiken.

Is that a typo?

#93 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (ddawson @ Feb 2 2012, 12:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Works well. I've added it to the video. There's one oddity I noticed:

Is that a typo?

Oops. Yes it is. should be ‘Zo…’. ops.gif

#94 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (markh @ Feb 2 2012, 22:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oops. Yes it is. should be ‘Zo…’. ops.gif

Okay, I've updated it.

#95 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (ddawson @ Feb 3 2012, 08:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, I've updated it.

While watching the video I noticed a few more typos blush.gif
Attached is the corrected file.

#96 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (markh @ Feb 3 2012, 11:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While watching the video I noticed a few more typos blush.gif
Attached is the corrected file.

Okay, I updated it again.

#97 Grg68

Grg68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hi all people here..!,

It's my turn to announce the Greek subtitles for the tutorial video! smile.gif

Daniel, i created a video with the subtitles embedded after i finished the translation to test them.
If you want to take a look, you can get it from here.
It's in low quality since it's only for test purpose and also to make easier the upload/download.
I watched this video and read the subtitles several times after i finished my job, so i hope there are not any
typos or other defects. rolleyes.gif

The subtitles file i uploaded here is in UTF-8 file encoding and i hope to be OK.
You can add it to YouTube when you have the chance and then i will update again my post here about SPE's
Greek AMO page to make known to Greek users about the availability of Greek subtitles too.

Now some other issue i have in mind:
I just would like to localize also the name of SPE. Have you any concerns about that?
As i know, technically there is no problem. I have done this on several of my installed extensions without
problems, even when i change the language of Firefox. In that case, extension manager just shows the
English names.
This is a sample of my extension manager:
Attached File  2012_02_08_002711.png   65.5KB   8 downloads

The reason i would like this, is that in case of SPE the name is clearly translatable and the Greek name is
very related to built-in "Saved Passwords", showing directly by only its name its purpose and the extra
functionality it adds to the password manager.
Also, although that it's not very widely known, Mozilla officially supports the localization of the name too.
You can look at here and here for example.
That's why the "<name></name>" entry can be used within localization sections.
So, if you agree to do this on SPE, you will find in the same archive i uploaded here my "install.rdf" to get
the Greek name of SPE for use in future releases and also to put it as the title on Greek AMO page.

Please let me know if the subtitles file is OK for its purpose..

Also, please note that SeaMonkey is NOT available in Greek yet!
However, for cosmetic reasons, to avoid a mix of English/Greek, i decided to translate also SeaMonkey's
related strings, based on the standard Mozilla's Greek terminology, used on Firefox. This also applies
to SeaMonkey's related sstrings within SPE, more specifically in welcome page (welcome.dtd).
Hopefully SeaMonkey will be available some day in Greek too..
If you don't agree and you wish to change that, keeping the English strings for SeaMonkey, then just let me
know about and i will update everything (SPE's strings and subtitles).

Regards,
George

Attached Files

Grg

#98 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (Grg68 @ Feb 7 2012, 20:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I watched this video and read the subtitles several times after i finished my job, so i hope there are not any
typos or other defects. rolleyes.gif

Indeed. Nothing jumped out at me, but I'll have to rely on you in this case since I have a poor idea of what correct Greek looks like, in terms of spelling, etc.

The subtitles file i uploaded here is in UTF-8 file encoding and i hope to be OK.

Yes, that's the correct encoding. Thanks. Although if I get something in an 8-bit encoding or whatever, I can usually convert it.

Now some other issue i have in mind:
I just would like to localize also the name of SPE. Have you any concerns about that?

The reason i would like this, is that in case of SPE the name is clearly translatable and the Greek name is
very related to built-in "Saved Passwords", showing directly by only its name its purpose and the extra
functionality it adds to the password manager.

I guess when you put it like that, maybe it's not such a bad idea. I do have some concerns about what happens when people start calling it by the translated name. Will it still be recognizable? Will I recognize it? What happens if someone who knows it by such a name contacts me for help? What name will they call it? Etc.

But I guess I'll give it a try.

Also, please note that SeaMonkey is NOT available in Greek yet!
However, for cosmetic reasons, to avoid a mix of English/Greek, i decided to translate also SeaMonkey's
related strings, based on the standard Mozilla's Greek terminology, used on Firefox. This also applies
to SeaMonkey's related sstrings within SPE, more specifically in welcome page (welcome.dtd).

Hmm. Well, if someone is using SeaMonkey with sufficiently English locale settings, they'll get the English locale for SPE. But it's possible to set things so that Greek strings would appear where available (setting general.useragent.locale to "el" would do it, I believe). In that case, one would see English for SeaMonkey's own strings and Greek for SPE's, including the welcome page. It's okay as long as the user understands what the English equivalents are.

On the other hand, of course, when SM finally does get translated to Greek, then we definitely want to reference the Greek strings. So, I don't know which is better. Maybe a good compromise is to include the English equivalents parenthetically. What do you think of that?

EDIT: Greek subtitles are now live.

#99 Grg68

Grg68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi again Daniel,

Earlier i watched the video on YouTube carefully and i am almost sure that is ok.
(I said "almost" because i am a human and as such, i use to keep a small room for the
possibility of error..)

About the name:
I do have some concerns about what happens when people start calling it by the translated name. Will it still be recognizable?

I'm not sure if i understood correctly what exactly you mean here. If you wish, please clarify.
I assume that the Greek name will be used among Greek users. If you mean how to find someone
the extension by searching on AMO, then you can add these words as tags on SPE's AMO page:
"επεξεργαστής (= editor)", "κωδικοί πρόσβασης (= passwords)", "σύνδεση (= login)".
There is already a Chinese word in tags of SPE, as i noticed!
However, making an experiment, i put the word "επεξεργαστής" in the search engine of AMO (being on addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/)
and it returned me only one result: SPE! (although i was on en-US page and there are not associated Greek tags yet, probably
because of the name you added recently). Check it out.
In opposite way: If i search e.g. for "Saved Password Editor" while i am on addons.mozilla.org/el/firefox/,
AMO will return me directly Greek results if available.
Generally as you know, AMO always redirects automatically to local pages/results, regardless of
the language used in search keywords, based on user's location, except if the user put a specific
locale in address bar.

Will I recognize it? What happens if someone who knows it by such a name contacts me for help? What name will they call it?
Etc.

First of all, i don't think that a Greek user will contact you writing you in English but using the Greek name of SPE!
If someone is able to write you in English asking for help, then surely will be also able to tell SPE's name
in English too. As i told you, specifically in case of SPE, the name is very clearly reversible among
English/Greek. Maybe someone will call it something like "Editor for Saved Passwords" (really, i can't imagine
some instance/combination, other than this!) but surely you will understand in such a case.
Also, if you have noticed it, for any case i include the English name of SPE in welcome page (top, large fonts)
and also in the beginning of the video. This also applies for the above.

Generally, having in mind that Mozilla officially supports the localization of extension's names and so,
we don't do something odd, "let's give it a try" as you said too.
Depending on circumstances, we will react accordingly if it's needed.

About SeaMonkey:
But it's possible to set things so that Greek strings would appear where available (setting general.useragent.locale to "el" would do it, I believe).

I'm wondering why someone do such a thing. It seems to me very strange. The setting "general.useragent.locale"
is used mostly in cases where someone has a lang pack installed and wants to change the language
of the main app (including extensions having this locale).
Doing so for only to change the language of a few extensions?? Hmm, well, i think you managed
to imagine a very rare possibility!
However, even in such a case, if a Greek user is able to use SeaMonkey and feel comfortable within its
environment, don't you think that will be also able to understand what the English corresponding strings are,
especially in this case which has to do with well known terms, like "Privacy", "Security", "Passwords" etc?
Well, surely it's not a pain for me to include also the English strings parenthetically and is not a big deal or
compromise, since they don't have to do with menu items and so we have not any cosmetic or space problem.
However, please pay attention to the following you probably missed, because things are not so simple:
The fact that SeaMonkey is not available in Greek, does not means necessarily that all of the Greek users
will use the English version!
Take in mind this scenario for example, assuming we include also the English strings parenthetically:
A Greek user which don't speak English, lives in Germany (actually there are many..), uses the
German version of SeaMonkey, has some extensions installed with Greek locale (including SPE) and has
changed the "general.useragent.locale" to "el" because he/she wishes to keep contact with his/her
native language (Greek)!!
What happens now?? Should be available also the German corresponding strings within the Greek locale!
Shouldn't be..??
In fewer words, with the same logic to include the English strings, we have to include also the corresponding
strings of all other languages SeaMonkey is available!! Don't you agree?
So, what to do now??
Leaving it as is until a problem occurs in the future (if any..)??
Or.... What?
Currently i can't imagine something better..

I think that the other translators/localizers/admins here should help in such special difficulties by taking
position on the issue and expressing their opinions.
What is the best way to follow in such case..???

------------------
I have updated my post here about the Greek AMO page, to inform about the availability of Greek subtitles too.
Grg

#100 ddawson

ddawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Grg68 @ Feb 8 2012, 23:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the name:

I do have some concerns about what happens when people start calling it by the translated name. Will it still be recognizable?

I'm not sure if i understood correctly what exactly you mean here. If you wish, please clarify.

It's more of a vague concern, really, so there isn't much to clarify. I think, though, I've decided not to be very concerned about it. As you said, we'll deal with any problems that might arise, and there probably won't be any real problems.

There is already a Chinese word in tags of SPE, as i noticed!

That's an interesting case. Someone else actually added that tag. I don't think users are allowed to tag other users' add-ons anymore. I could be mistaken. But it still carried over. No reason to delete it, since it seems to be a relevant word (assuming Google Translate can be trusted that far).

About SeaMonkey:

But it's possible to set things so that Greek strings would appear where available (setting general.useragent.locale to "el" would do it, I believe).

I'm wondering why someone do such a thing. It seems to me very strange. The setting "general.useragent.locale"
is used mostly in cases where someone has a lang pack installed and wants to change the language
of the main app (including extensions having this locale).
Doing so for only to change the language of a few extensions?? Hmm, well, i think you managed
to imagine a very rare possibility!

I probably have a strange view of it, since I don't use lang packs, and I've only ever used that preference to test extension locales.

However, please pay attention to the following you probably missed, because things are not so simple:
The fact that SeaMonkey is not available in Greek, does not means necessarily that all of the Greek users
will use the English version!

Yes, you're right. Silly me, I hadn't considered that.

I have updated my post here about the Greek AMO page, to inform about the availability of Greek subtitles too.

Right, I'll get that updated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users