Techie Tricks and Tips provider

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• Translator for [No translator]
  • Extension Developer: Yes
  • Extensions: Flagfox, Config Descriptions, Crash Report Helper
  • My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:45 PM

Ack... I uploaded version 3.0.1 of Flagfox, because 3.0.0 lacked the properties line for a description translation. Someone (I think the name was "fiag") was working on translating simplified Chinese for us, and now it's gone. Not good. I'm sure it's backed up somewhere, hopefully. Can an admin put it back, and please tell me if I did something wrong? Next time, I'll definitely save all in-progress stuff before doing this. I wouldn't think updating the extension should do that... :/

#2 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,437 posts

• Translator for French (fr)
  • Extensions: BabelZillaMenu-BabelZilla Glossary-OpenTran...
  • Translation Credits to Goofy
  • My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(DaveG @ Oct 2 2007, 21:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ack... I uploaded version 3.0.1 of Flagfox, because 3.0.0 lacked the properties line for a description translation. Someone (I think the name was "fiag") was working on translating simplified Chinese for us, and now it's gone. Not good. I'm sure it's backed up somewhere, hopefully. Can an admin put it back, and please tell me if I did something wrong? Next time, I'll definitely save all in-progress stuff before doing this. I wouldn't think updating the extension should do that... :/

rolleyes.gif unfortunately it was impossible to fish out the Chinese locale out of the database. As you thought of a bit late it is good practice to download the whole locale pack, insert the complete ones in the new version to be submitted and don't forget to register new locales available in the chrome.manifest (or install.rdf if your are old school). If you don't do that before updating, the new submission will erase previous in progress files.
See here
http://www.babelzill...n...7&Itemid=25

Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#3 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(Goofy @ Oct 2 2007, 20:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rolleyes.gif unfortunately it was impossible to fish out the Chinese locale out of the database. As you thought of a bit late it is good practice to download the whole locale pack, insert the complete ones in the new version to be submitted and don't forget to register new locales available in the chrome.manifest (or install.rdf if your are old school). If you don't do that before updating, the new submission will erase previous in progress files.
See here
http://www.babelzill...n...7&Itemid=25

I did include all completed locales. I downloaded each one and put it in. (the manifest file was already updated) I read that page before updating, and based on that I had no idea that completely unfinished ones would be outright deleted, even if I didn't add them to the manifest. I thought it just meant that the translations I upload would overwrite ones already online, not wipe everything. Putting partial translations in the XPI didn't make much sense...

Edited to add:
If an site creator reads this, I might suggest changing it to not wipe all translations, but rather overwrite them with what's in the XPI. This is what I though it said it was going to do; replace the online versions of the locales with what I upload, but leave the ones I didn't upload alone.

#4 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,437 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(DaveG @ Oct 2 2007, 22:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did include all completed locales. I downloaded each one and put it in. (the manifest file was already updated) I read that page before updating, and based on that I had no idea that completely unfinished ones would be outright deleted, even if I didn't add them to the manifest. I thought it just meant that the translations I upload would overwrite ones already online, not wipe everything. Putting partial translations in the XPI didn't make much sense...

smile.gif Don't worry, it happens very often with new submitters and of course you are but partially responsible for this prob in the wts. Whenever an extension is submitted or updated, the en-US file overwrites every locale which is not registered in the chrome.manifest (the idea is to provide to fresh new translators the more up-to-date version to work on)

Putting partial translations in the XPI didn't make much sense...

Sure. Except that when you download uncomplete translations with the whole locales tar-gz pack, the missing translations are automatically filled with en-US ones, which is bad for final user but more secure : it will not break the locale. And next time the extension is submitted, translators will have to find English strings stuck in the middle of files instead of spotting the yellow-backgrounded lines for blanks to fill.

#5 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

Wait a minute, then why does it say this on that page:

The previous version will be replaced by the updated one, but the locales and the known translators will be archived and available on request to the Admins.

It should be available...

#6 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,437 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(DaveG @ Oct 2 2007, 22:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait a minute, then why does it say this on that page:
It should be available...

It should, yes, we have a kind of mechanism to recover lost locales from the database abyss, but it failed. Sorry unsure.gif

#7 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,437 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

replace the online versions of the locales with what I upload, but leave the ones I didn't upload alone.

Right. The next version of the WTS currently under testing and final touch will NOT erase uncomplete an un-loaded locales.

#8 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:38 PM

Ok, well that sucks then. sad.gif Hopefully you'll roll out this new version soon so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

I've PMed the translator to apologize. Hopefully those country names were exported from a list, and they didn't loose too much work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users