menet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Extension Developer: No
  • Translator for French (fr)

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:55 AM

Hi,

I want to know if the use of UNICODE escape characters (\uXXXX where XXXX is a character code) is always mandatory for the properties files like it is noted there on http://developer.mozilla.org/ ?

I am a French translator of the new extension in BabelZilla : Secure Login. This is the link for its topic
Its creator, Sebastian Tschan (madblueimp), takes our translation files (coded in UTF-8 without BOM) and transform the properties files with native2ascii utility to have then only ASCII characters (escape characters added) inside the XPI file.
Then later when I want to compare my translation files with the files inside the XPI, the properties file is always different.

With the others extensions for which I am the translator, I have not the problem.
With this extension I can put my properties file coded in UTF-8 inside the XPI and it works also well. cool.gif

Does this information about developer.mozilla.org is false because old and should be updated ?
Or it is always good for others languages (jp, ch,...)

unsure.gif I have seen a message about that from victory which quote Axel HERE, but I don't know if it is only about the WTS ?

Thanks for your reply. Menet. wink.gif

#2 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,435 posts

• Extension Developer: Yes
  • Extensions: BabelZillaMenu-BabelZilla Glossary-OpenTran...
  • My OS Gnu/Linux
  • Translation Credits to Goofy

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

Its creator, Sebastian Tschan (madblueimp), takes our translation files (coded in UTF-8 without BOM) and transform the properties files with native2ascii utility to have then only ASCII characters (escape characters added) inside the XPI file.
Then later when I want to compare my translation files with the files inside the XPI, the properties file is always different.

Encoding of properties file is UTF-8 since FF 1.0. You provide valid properties files to the developer. If he wants to change their encoding, it is his responsibility. So he must simply be warned that his choice displays badly for final users. Please send him a word smile.gif
Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#3 menet

menet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Extension Developer: No

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:37 AM

Thanks Goofy for your answer tongue.gif

QUOTE(Goofy @ Mar 10 2007, 09:30) View Post
Encoding of properties file is UTF-8 since FF 1.0.
But is it noted somewhere on an official site like the page he has given to me (developer.mozilla.org) ?

Regards wink.gif

#4 madblueimp

madblueimp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Extension Developer: Yes
  • Extensions: Secure Login, Autofill Forms, Net Notes
  • Translator for [No translator]

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(menet @ Mar 10 2007, 10:37) View Post

Thanks Goofy for your answer tongue.gif

But is it noted somewhere on an official site like the page he has given to me (developer.mozilla.org) ?

Regards wink.gif

Seems the tutorial is outdated. I uploaded a new version of Secure Login with both localization files in UTF-8. Thanks for the notion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CCBot (1)