• 129 posts

• Translator for [No translator]
  • Extension Developer: Yes
  • Extensions: Toolbar Buttons
    Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

I wrote a reply to this, must have got distracted and not hit the submit button...

Ok then, it is certainly a bug. With those setting nothing like this should happen. Just I can't see the cause of it yet. Hopefully I can get a few more bug reports and something finally makes sense.

Toolbar Buttons - buttons for everything.
BBcode toolbar - make posting easy and fun

#42 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

I have manged to get around the last few bugs by suppressing how some of the default window handling is done. So I am feeling kind of good about myself right now.

Now just to get the update onto AMO

#43 x10firefox

x10firefox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 135 posts

• Translator for Romanian (ro-RO)
  • Extension Developer: No
  • Translation Credits to Cătălin ZAMFIRESCU (x10firefox)
  • My OS Windows

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Romanian locale updated.

#44 renegade06

renegade06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Translator for Macedonian (mk-MK)

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

Updated mk-MK locale.

#45 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

I have been working at tidying up the extension and removing stuff that is not needed that I inherited when I merged the two extensions - that extends to the locales. There was a copy of all the strings for each application that it supported. Now there is only one set. Also started to use strings from the locales that come with the application. So there is roughly have the number of strings there was before. I am hoping that with less to do I can get more translations quicker and easier.

I tried to fix all the locales to reflect the changes, can people check that I did not do anything stupid?

I also think I have got most the the problems reported fixed. There are still some around though.

#46 renegade06

renegade06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Translator for Macedonian (mk-MK)

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:41 AM

Updated mk-MK locale.

#47 Sonickydon

Sonickydon

[el-GR] Coordinator

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 768 posts

• Translator for Greek (el)

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

I'll need translator status to update and maintain my locale in the future, please add me.
Graecum est, non legitur

#48 Fux

Fux

Rescue & Intervention Super

• Admin
  • 178 posts

• Translator for German (de)
  • Translation Credits to Fux - BabelZilla.org

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Sonickydon @ Nov 13 2009, 20:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll need translator status to update and maintain my locale in the future, please add me.

You are translator for el-GR now smile.gif

Regards, Fux

Fux is a member of Team erweiterungen.de

Chat: irc://irc.mozilla.org/babelzilla

#49 Sonickydon

Sonickydon

[el-GR] Coordinator

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

el-GR updated and set to released.

A couple of comments:

1) A javascript application dialog keeps poping up when i click on the "ok" button of the options dialog, see screenshot.

2) On the same screenshot, you can see that there's some small problem with the layout, the chk.currentuseronly.label string is not displayed quite right but it could be just because of the old fashioned settings of the old fashioned system i tested. smile.gif
I don't consider it an issue so i set the status as "released" anyway, but it would be nice to know that it displays right for the rest locales as that would most likely mean it's just a settings issue on my side.

3) The cmd.quit.label string (" Exit Quick Launch") looks like it's a left over from the merging since there's no mention of a quick launch function somewhere else. I guess the text should be changed there.

Attached Files

Graecum est, non legitur

#50 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:05 AM

1) Looks like I left a bit of debug code in there. The preference system functions differently on Windows from Linux, so I was testing out which bits actually ran. Got to redo a fair be there to make it work right on Linux yet :(

2) That is more of a Firefox bug then mine. I don't set the size of the window, Firefox should do it correctly for me.

3) The string actually exists in three files. It is just another name for what the previous developer called turbo mode. Start Firefox with the "-turbo" flag, then right click the icon. You will see the string.

#51 Sonickydon

Sonickydon

[el-GR] Coordinator

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 768 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Buckley @ Nov 16 2009, 06:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Looks like I left a bit of debug code in there. The preference system functions differently on Windows from Linux, so I was testing out which bits actually ran. Got to redo a fair be there to make it work right on Linux yet :(

Since you said it doesn't work on linux i didn't test there, i only did on windows XP

2) That is more of a Firefox bug then mine. I don't set the size of the window, Firefox should do it correctly for me.

Yep, that's why i don't consider this an issue that could block the translation release
3) The string actually exists in three files. It is just another name for what the previous developer called turbo mode. Start Firefox with the "-turbo" flag, then right click the icon. You will see the string.

Which strings are those? I could only see a GUI reference for "quick launch" in cmd.quit.label string in the files you submitted to babelzilla and the string appeared in the right click menu of the system tray icon but i didn't started Firefox with a flag. I'm not familiar with the extension but the way i see it, it could be named "remove from system tray".

EDIT: I just thought that "quick launch" might be a windows term... if that's the case then excuse me, i'm not a windows user smile.gif.
I posted the comment thinking that "quick launch" is the name of a feature available only in the extension.
Graecum est, non legitur

#52 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

Since you said it doesn't work on Linux i didn't test there, i only did on windows XP

It almost does now actually smile.gif Just a few more things to do before I can have a Linux release working. The options window, and a glitch in the turbo mode are the last remaining issues.

Oh, forgot it also shows when you select the option to always show the icon.

The idea of the feature is that you can semi start an application, if you want automatically on startup. All you see of it is the tray icon. When you then want to go open the application it can start really fast. This is done using the -turbo commandline flag.

Or yes you can check that preference. Which will mean that when you close Firefox, it will not go away fully, so when you open it again, it will be fast.

I never thought of anything better then what was in MinimizeToTray, so that is what I have kept. Got any suggestions on what you might have called it? I am not really the greatest at picking names for features, don't think any programmers are. We spend too much time looking at the source code that what every features does seams obvious no matter what you call it.

#53 Sonickydon

Sonickydon

[el-GR] Coordinator

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 768 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (Buckley @ Nov 16 2009, 14:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never thought of anything better then what was in MinimizeToTray, so that is what I have kept. Got any suggestions on what you might have called it? I am not really the greatest at picking names for features, don't think any programmers are. We spend too much time looking at the source code that what every features does seams obvious no matter what you call it.

Ok, now, i'm a little bit slow perhaps, but the confusion starts when
you offer the user an option to end a process he never started.smile.gif

"Quick launch" or "turbo mode" is not mentioned anywhere in the options
dialog and if i remember right, only turbo is mentioned in the AMO long
description and your site. So i thought that "quick launch" was the term
that minimizetotray (never used that extension either) used and you forgot
to change to "turbo mode" or something when you merged the two extensions.

At first though i really thought that all it did was to remove the icon from
the system tray because it does that on my system while the applications
are maximized and even though i have checked the "always show tray icon" option smile.gif
Looking at it again, should it make the icon disappear or is it a bug?

And another thing i forgot to mention, the extension is not supposed to
minimize all windows of the application?
For example, is it normal to minimize the main application but leave the
add-ons or the downloads dialog on the desktop?

Looking forward to test the linux working version (and add more chaos and confusion as usual smile.gif )
Graecum est, non legitur

#54 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

"Quick launch" or "turbo mode" is not mentioned anywhere in the options
dialog and if i remember right, only turbo is mentioned in the AMO long
description and your site. So i thought that "quick launch" was the term
that minimizetotray (never used that extension either) used and you forgot
to change to "turbo mode" or something when you merged the two extensions.

The documentation for the extension deserves a 2 out of 10, and that might be being generous to myself. That I don't mention it anywhere, does not really mean a lot. Particularly as the AMO description is very much out of date - it refers an older version. I plan to start writing some tomorrow.

I am going to have a good think about it, the terminology needs to be all fixed up. The term turbo mode really has to go, I have get too many questions about what that means.

At first though i really thought that all it did was to remove the icon from
the system tray because it does that on my system while the applications
are maximized and even though i have checked the "always show tray icon" option smile.gif
Looking at it again, should it make the icon disappear or is it a bug?

Along with the icon there is actually a hidden window. It is this window that keeps Firefox alive, even though the icon is the only think showing. When this window is closed the icon that belongs with it goes away too. Closing this overrides the setting, the the commandline flag.

And another thing i forgot to mention, the extension is not supposed to
minimize all windows of the application?
For example, is it normal to minimize the main application but leave the
add-ons or the downloads dialog on the desktop?

It can minimize all the windows, but normally it only does just the one.

Now onto what I changed in the file I just uploaded:

The current version should now work on 64bit Linux. I have not got a 32bit copy handy right now to compile it on. That is the next task, I will set a VM up tomorrow.
There is still a glitch with using the -turbo command line flag with it - the icon's menu does not work right - but that is all I know of.

I changed the chk.startwidthwindows.label in prefs-window.dtd so it no longer refers to Windows, since the user could now be on Linux as well. I think the meaning of all the translations would still be clear though.

I also deleted two strings, since I changed how it goes about disabling the extensions it may conflict with. The restart is no longer needed, so neither is the string.

#55 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

Sonickydon does this make sense to you? http://codefisher.or...izetotray/docs/

I know what I think it all means, just wondering if I am communicating it clearly?

#56 Sonickydon

Sonickydon

[el-GR] Coordinator

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:43 AM

Yes, it does make sense, I still have an objection though :
Reading the "Using Quick Launch" part, it looks that the feature demands manual editing of the shortcut to add the flag.
Reading a little more, in the "Load application at system startup" of the "MinimizeToTray Plus settings" section, it's quite clear that it can be also automatically invoked.

So, the "load application at system startup" string should better be "Enable quick launch at system startup" instead.

I bet that non-advanced users will not bother to edit manually the shortcut (at least on windows), plus (IMHO) final users rarely take the time to read documentation before they install an extension. That would be easier for them because they would not need to look outside the options window in order to understand that they have enabled the quick launch function. They might not understand in details what the quick launch function does, but they will sure get a hint on what the"exit quick launch" does.

I don't mean that the final users are stupid or that you should treat them as such( oh well, you should actually but it's not polite to admit it smile.gif ), it's just that i consider it more "user friendly" like that.
Graecum est, non legitur

#57 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:13 AM

So, the "load application at system startup" string should better be "Enable quick launch at system startup" instead.

Not sure that makes it clear that the application is being started. Maybe "Load application in quick launch mode at system startup" would communicate everything needed?

#58 Sonickydon

Sonickydon

[el-GR] Coordinator

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Buckley @ Nov 23 2009, 10:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure that makes it clear that the application is being started. Maybe "Load application in quick launch mode at system startup" would communicate everything needed?

Yes, maybe that is more accurate, perhaps "Load &brandShortName; in quick launch mode at system startup" would make it even more precise.
My point is that somehow the user should see the term "quick launch" in the options dialog.
The way i see it, it is a very handy and usefull feature and it doesn't get the attention it needs by mentioning it only in the documentation.

Anyway, enough with it, i got carried away, I was supposed to give my 2 cents on it, not a billion smile.gif

Whenever you'll find the time to update the AMO descriptions as well, give us a note here to translate them.
Graecum est, non legitur

#59 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:06 AM

Billion cents worth is good smile.gif This is the only place where I get my phrasing of stuff questioned, everyone else just presumes the developer knows best. I have changed the string now.

Will drop a note here once the AMO description is ready to be translated. Not going to finalize it till after the extension is approved. They don't have a way to make the description go with the version, so what is there has to change some.

#60 Buckley

Buckley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 129 posts

Text Formatting Toolbar
    MinimizeToTray Plus

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:53 AM

I uploaded a new copy of the extension, but it looks like some thing got corrupted and I lost a few locales. I hope the translators have better backups then I do unsure.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CCBot (1)