ingomueller.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

Maintainer: ingomueller.net
Creator: Ingo Müller

Ext. Version: 0.2.9
Description: Display birthdays from the thunderbird addressbooks as events in lightning.
Extension is compatible to: ( 1.5 - 2.0.0.*)

Included locales: ar ca-AD cs-CZ da-DK de-DE en-US es-AR es-ES fr-FR hu-HU it-IT ja-JP nl-NL pl-PL pt-BR pt-PT ru-RU sk-SK sv-SE tr-TR uk-UA zh-CN

View on WTS -- Download the extension -- Official homepage

Edited by ingomueller.net, 30 August 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#2 ingomueller.net

ingomueller.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

The English locale might not be perfect, as I'm no native speaker. If you are, I'd be glad if you could have a quick look at the current english translation. Thanks :-)

#3 myahoo

myahoo

Advanced Member

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 1027 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

fr-FR is ok smile.gif

[Edit] I've opened the XPI file, and I saw that you haven't put a classic code (I think smile.gif ) for the chrome.manifest:
Citation
(…)
locale thunderbirthday de chrome/locale/de/
locale thunderbirthday en chrome/locale/en/

The greatest code is xx-YY, in order to make a difference between two or more countries about the same language (for example en-US and en-GB, like for de-DE, de-AT, and de-CH). So for your next version, here's a thing to edit:
Citation
(…)
locale thunderbirthday de-DE chrome/locale/de-DE/
locale thunderbirthday en-US chrome/locale/en-US/

(I tested with "locale thunderbirthday fr-FR chrome/locale/fr-FR/" and the translation I made for your extension is ok with Thunderbird smile.gif )
Firefox 3.x – « Oooh Jooon… ! »

#4 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

Better late than never, but here's your Welcome! welcomeani.gif

Just a bit of information for you: in case you have some queries about the WTS, you can find short and simple Questions&Answers about it here!

In case you're looking for a specific translator, please see the list of available translators on BabelZilla.
When you select the desired one, you can send him/her a P.M. or an e-mail (if and when public).

You may also insert a new Topic in the Help Section, in order to ask for specific translations, to write a general request about missing translations, etc.
While the bankers all get their bonuses I’ll just get along with what I’ve got

#5 ingomueller.net

ingomueller.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:25 PM

Thanks you two for your information!

QUOTE(myahoo @ Aug 6 2007, 20:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[Edit] I've opened the XPI file, and I saw that you haven't put a classic code (I think smile.gif ) for the chrome.manifest:

I'm going to change that in the next version. Thanks for your hint!

Markh, I have a small suggestion for this website: I found it quite hard to find it and although I was searching for this very kind of website, I only found it with pure luck! Maybe a link on some translation related articles in the mozilla developper wiki would improve this... :-)

Greets, Ingo

#6 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE(ingomueller.net @ Aug 6 2007, 23:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks you two for your information!
I'm going to change that in the next version. Thanks for your hint!

Markh, I have a small suggestion for this website: I found it quite hard to find it and although I was searching for this very kind of website, I only found it with pure luck! Maybe a link on some translation related articles in the mozilla developper wiki would improve this... :-)

Greets, Ingo

Yes, well, there is always lots of pages where BabelZilla could be mentioned, but it is already on several pages there. There are some references on the Mozilla wiki pages, like this one, but I agree with you that the visibility could be better wink.gif
Thanks for your suggestion!
While the bankers all get their bonuses I’ll just get along with what I’ve got

#7 teo

teo

XUL Warrior & Layout Fakir

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 1437 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:42 PM

Ingo,
Can you explain me when in the Tb addressbook card is 'Birthday'? I can't find this element.
Teo

#8 ingomueller.net

ingomueller.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

Hey teo,

thanks a lot for your translation!!

QUOTE(teo @ Aug 7 2007, 12:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you explain me when in the Tb addressbook card is 'Birthday'? I can't find this element.

I'm not sure whether I understand your question right. Here's what I think it is :-) You didn't find any field in the adressbook dialog where to put the birthday (nor the birthmonth nor birthyear). The thing is that although these fields exist in the thunderbird adressbook, they are not accessible through the GUI for whichever reason. To access these fields, you can use the extension MoreColsForAddressbook. I planned to add the possibility to choose one of the 4 user defined fields as alternative for future versions.

I hope this helps you. Ingo

#9 teo

teo

XUL Warrior & Layout Fakir

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 1437 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(ingomueller.net @ Aug 7 2007, 18:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I planned to add the possibility to choose one of the 4 user defined fields as alternative for future versions.

It will be good solution. Now I have to install another extension for use this one.

Thanks for you explanation. You good read my intention even tough I made mistake wrote 'when' instead 'where'. sad.gif

Polish locale released.
Teo

#10 Pedro

Pedro

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hi Ingo,

I am your italian translator. I know this isn't a support forum but I have a little problem with the extension and I'd like to know if I am the only one tongue.gif

I installed Lightining, MoreColsForAdressbooks and then ThunderBirthDay. I set a birthday for a casual contact in my address book then I created a new calendar with your extension.

I opened the new birthday calendar, and I went to the date of the birthday searching the new event but nothing happened.

I tried to add a new event but the new calendar created is only readable. I tried to change this option from the calendar properties but the new calendar is always set as Read-only unsure.gif

What am I mistaking? blush.gif

I'm running Linux (kubuntu 7.04) and Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (italian version) but also try with Win Xp Sp2 wink.gif The profile I used was clean (only with the extensions mentioned)

Thanks in advance for your tip smile.gif

Bye bye

Pedro
Are you sure that I am a translator? Have you seen my english?
Goofy's corrections © inside. The dog with the glasses has come back.

#11 ingomueller.net

ingomueller.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:12 PM

Hi Pedro!

Thanks for your translation!

QUOTE(Pedro @ Aug 8 2007, 20:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried to add a new event but the new calendar created is only readable. I tried to change this option from the calendar properties but the new calendar is always set as Read-only unsure.gif

This is intentional (kind of). For the moment, the extension is not bidirectional, i.e. it can display existing birthdays as events, but not modify them or create new ones. That's the reason why it is set to read-only and why this cannot be changed. Maybe the extension will provide bidirectional access to the addressbook in future versions...

QUOTE(Pedro @ Aug 8 2007, 20:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I installed Lightining, MoreColsForAdressbooks and then ThunderBirthDay. I set a birthday for a casual contact in my address book then I created a new calendar with your extension.

I opened the new birthday calendar, and I went to the date of the birthday searching the new event but nothing happened.

This, of course, is not intentional! You installed the right extensions and used the extension like it is meant to (as far as I can tell). The only things I can think of you might have done wrong is

* to choose the wrong address book when creating the calendar or
* to entere an invalid date (numbers only: 1<=month<=12, 1<=day<=31, 0<=year<=3000)

If none of this is the problem, this might be an unknown bug. In this case, I'd love to know its reason! A possible way to find it, is to increment verbosity like this:

* rename the .xpi-file to a .zip file and extract it
* open /js/calThunderBirthDay.js and go to the very end of the file
* change the 5 in "if (aDebugLevel >= 5) {" to a 4 (then 3,2,1...)
* repack the modified files to a zip, rename it to .xpi and install the new version
* go to lightning where the birthday events should appear, then open the error console
* look for suspisous lines beginning with "TBD:" (at debuglevel 1, there should be a lot of them, at level 0 more than you can ever read wink.gif)

So far, I don't know what to tell you to look for, as it works on every machine I am able to test it. If you discover anything suspisous, please let me know.

I hope this helps! Greets, Ingo

Edit1:

I forgot one thing, that might be the reason: if you first created the calender and then added the birthday to the addressbook contact, the birthday doesn't appear immidiately in lightning. First, the calendar has to be reloaded, which happens automatically at startup and then every 30 minutes. You can force a reload by right-clicking on a calendar in the calendar list in lightning and then choosing "Reload external calendars" in the context menu.

Edit2:

I have to admit, that the reason is indeed a bug, but the good thing is, that I can reproduce it. It occures when there are only a very few contacts with birthdays. Until I released a new version, I can only advise you, to add more birthdays to your addressbook wink.gif Thanks a lot for indicating that issue!!

#12 Pedro

Pedro

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Ingo for the quick and exhaustive reply wink.gif

I will investigate if I wrong inserted the date's data tongue.gif ...

... and. if this is not the solution, I will follow the second investigation step

I hope all depends from my distraction.

Thanks again biggrin.gif

Pedro

EDIT

Very good! I am happy because I have been useful for your extension's development

I try to add several birthdays wink.gif

Thanks a lot again!

#13 ingomueller.net

ingomueller.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(Pedro @ Aug 8 2007, 21:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very good! I am happy because I have been useful for your extension's development

You are indeed a big help! I found the bug and solved it happy.gif If you install the new version, even calendars with one single birthday event should work now wink.gif

To everybody else: if you could update to the new version and have a real quick look at it whether everything works, that'd be great! Thanks!

Greets, Ingo

#14 Pedro

Pedro

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:57 AM

Downloaded, installed, e successful tested (the extension not the italian locale) biggrin.gif

For me the problem is solved wink.gif

#15 Pedro

Pedro

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hi Ingo now also the italian locale is ok wink.gif

A little answer: have you got an home page for the extension? I am not able to find nothing mellow.gif

Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

#16 ingomueller.net

ingomueller.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for your translation again!

QUOTE(Pedro @ Aug 26 2007, 16:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little answer: have you got an home page for the extension? I am not able to find nothing mellow.gif

No, currently, the only places where you can find anything about this extension is this very post and the sandbox of the mozillas add-on page. I may have put my personal home page address somewhere where the extensions home page should go, but only because I didn't want the field to be empty (and because, maybe, I'll put something on my homepage once the extension is closer to a final version).

Greets, Ingo

#17 Pedro

Pedro

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:59 AM

Ok, I find the extension on the sandbox biggrin.gif

Let me know when you consider the extension stable or when I can publish it also in the italian extension's portal wink.gif

Bye bye

Luca smile.gif

#18 Ahmed

Ahmed

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

ops.gif hello for all
ThunderBirthDay ARABIC translation is OK

#19 ingomueller.net

ingomueller.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(Pedro @ Aug 26 2007, 23:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let me know when you consider the extension stable or when I can publish it also in the italian extension's portal wink.gif

I think that the first final version will be released by end of september at the latest. There are still some internal issues I have to deal with before the release... Anyway, I'll let everybody know about the final extension as soon as I finished it!

Regards, Ingo

#20 Pedro

Pedro

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Ingo for your reply smile.gif

I read your doubts and I am not able to solve it, but I think you can also try to ask this in the mozillazine forum. There' a lot of developer that may give you properly answer tongue.gif

I think you can also ask to klades, is the italian author of MoreColsForAddressbook... I consider him a great Thunderbird expert wink.gif

QUOTE("Ingo")
Alternatively, you
can get it from BabelZilla [2], where you don't need to be registered.

I am not sure about this... I think everyone needs to be registered and logged in to download the extension happy.gif

Bye bye

Luca

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CCBot (1)