• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• Translator for [No translator]
  • Extension Developer: Yes
  • Extensions: Flagfox, Config Descriptions, Crash Report Helper
  • My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(markh @ Oct 16 2007, 21:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's the company network that somehow slows down the extension. I noticed that the flags didn't come up either, and they do at home (and it runs like a bliss there). Not a bug!

If I remember correctly, Flagfox doesn't work behind a proxy. (though NATs are fine) If you can, please PM me the gist of your company's network settings. Not sure if I can do anything about it remotely, however, but I can give it a shot.

Also posting here to announce that we're finally listed publicly on AMO. smile.gif

Edited to add:
By the way, the WTS really isn't that smart... All of the in progress locales now show 100% or so, even though they're all blank strings. It seems the export with blank strings confuses the WTS on import back in. Probably because the strings are just empty, not missing. Whatever, as stated by Goofy, ignore the percentage. huh.gif

Edited again to add:
I've done a little testing, and put myself behind a proxy. (with no access to DNS) In that case, I can get whatever the proxy can get, but Flagfox can't do a normal DNS lookup and stalls. It might be what you're getting. Lemme look into this a bit, though, if this is the case, then there's really no way for me to fix it. Flagfox needs DNS access to get the site's IP. Normally it just hits the cache, seeing as you've already gone to the website and have done a lookup. With a proxy, you haven't, so it does a new lookup which takes a while and fails.

#22 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4,070 posts
  • Location:the culinary and touristically unchallenged parts of the Netherlands

• Translator for Dutch (nl)
  • Extension Developer: No
  • Translation Credits to markh van BabelZilla.org
  • My OS Windows

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

It's a proxy thing, so don't bother. My company network is a pain in the @ss anyway.

By the way, Dutch locale released again cool.gif
While the bankers all get their bonuses I’ll just get along with what I’ve got

#23 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,437 posts

• Translator for French (fr)
  • Extensions: BabelZillaMenu-BabelZilla Glossary-OpenTran...
  • Translation Credits to Goofy
  • My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

the @ss

Mmmh dear markh, how is it possible you have in hand a nice picture of my own boss ? What a coïncidence...

Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#24 DaveG

DaveG

Techie Tricks and Tips provider

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(markh @ Oct 17 2007, 20:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a proxy thing, so don't bother. My company network is a pain in the @ss anyway.

We also have a user who uses proxies to get through the Great Firewall of China posting a similar issue on our forums. So, in order to stop the stalling and bad local DNS lookup attempt, I've posted a change to AMO. Basically all it does is check to see if the current page is set to be proxied by Firefox and disable the lookup. This way it won't stall, and it won't betray your position to the local DNS server. (if anonymity is why you're using a proxy) There is a remote DNS lookup over SOCKS proxy feature, which I tried and doesn't seem to work for some reason, so I'm not using it. I may also put in an option to let it do the local lookup on LANs that it isn't an issue, but I'll also have to switch to an asynchronous lookup, and I didn't feel like doing that and testing last night. ;)

#25 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,437 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

switch to an asynchronous lookup
wacko.gif

closedeyes.gif Yes this is the solution obviously. You should have asked me before. happy.gif

#26 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE(Goofy @ Oct 17 2007, 21:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wacko.gif

closedeyes.gif Yes this is the solution obviously. You should have asked me before. happy.gif

urihart actually sent me a patch on how to do it a bit back. It's just that normally Flagfox does no DNS resolution. Normally you're already at the page, and have done the lookup to get there, so Flagfox just fishes the IP out of the DNS cache. With proxy use, this goes wrong, and it then tries to do a lookup. Thus in this case, the synchronous resolve that's normally an instantaneous cache hit resorts to sending one out and stalling things. (strangely enough, there's a flag to force no cache, but not one to require it) For now, 3.0.4 is on addons.mozilla.org and should not send out DNS requests in the case of proxies.

#27 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,437 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

smile.gif er.. I was joking of course. Anyway, thanks for your efforts to explain things that are much too complicated for me dry.gif , some of us here may understand I suppose...

#28 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:42 PM

Ok, I posted 3.0.6 here. The changelog is on AMO and our forums, if you're interested.

It seems the WTS likes having no strings, rather than blank ones. If I use the stock files I download from it, it counts them as completed in the percentage, and blank when you go to edit. If, however, I open the partial files and delete the lines listed as "", then it notices they're blank everywhere and shows the correct percentage. (assuming no 107% bugs, and the like) So, this update gets rid of all those false 100%s that were up there. (though, at the annoying price of everything listing as "in progress"... again... feel free to spam my inbox with status change messages yet again tongue.gif )

There are no string changes in this version. I just wanted to get those fixes up here for when translators test their locales.

#29 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8,437 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:04 PM

blink.gif Ouch thanks to be patient enough to fumble in the mess of blank strings and false and true quoted ones wacko.gif , it just gets me dizzy.

Seriously you should not waste your time trying to get the percentage progressmeter sticking to reality, as I have already mentioned the old thingy is not trustworthy at all, every translator should know unless just arriving... I would even prefer personally our Tech Admin to remove it purely and simply, but I reckon I have fun from time to time to see its insane displaying... closedeyes.gif

#30 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, I know. It was just an extra benefit of posting the update, and deleting the blank strings only takes 10 seconds. Main reason was to get the proxy fix in the version listed on here. (mentioned earlier in this thread) I just never got around to posting a new version here, and I decided I might as well do it now. There's probably no one here that needs to be paranoid enough about their privacy that a leaked out local DNS request would be horrible, but I'd rather have the fix here nonetheless. (that, and in that case it stalls Firefox, which is irritating)

#31 momus

momus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

• Translator for Polish (pl)
  • Translation Credits to Krzysztof Klimczak (or simply you may write my nick from this site)

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

pl-PL is released. All should be OK.

#32 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:56 AM

I've 3.0.7 posted on AMO. It contains this month's updated IP database as well as pl-PL and the handful of other little locale updates.

#33 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4,070 posts

• My OS Windows

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:40 PM

Dutch locale updated, tested and released (finally) cool.gif

#34 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE(markh @ Nov 4 2007, 19:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dutch locale updated, tested and released (finally) cool.gif

Thanks. More updates, all 3 seconds after I post an update to AMO. tongue.gif

By the way, I'm working on adding a few new little features, namely the ability to lookup a Whois and a prompt for that proxy issue, so there'll be some new strings to translate at some point. We're also going to put Geotool's strings in with Flagfox's, so that side if things can get localized too.

And thanks to Momus for Polish and drry for Japanese and thanks again to everyone for the other updates and typo fixes.

#35 momus

momus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

• Translation Credits to Krzysztof Klimczak (or simply you may write my nick from this site)

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

Polish translation updated, I fix few strings, now it is absolutely OK. Thanks to Teo for help.

#36 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

New version 3.1 posted smile.gif

This time we've got new features and new strings to translate. We've also put in a new properties file for Geotool, so that it's easily translatable along-side Flagfox. I've put in everything on the todo list, so please tell me if anything doesn't work right. tongue.gif

With respect to the proxy prompt message: Please rewrite it as needed, such that it's easily understandable in your language. If you don't understand what it's about, please read this. (talks about the option in the old version, which this prompt replaces) If you want to test the prompt, just set your proxy to 10.0.0.1 or something else made up. Yeah, Firefox won't work, but it'll be detected as a proxy and show the message.

If anyone can think of anything I'm missing in this version, please feel free to offer suggestions. There's a bit of new code in this version, namely a new more compact IP DB format, so testing it out on a few sites couldn't hurt either.

To those who had partial translations before this posting:
I plan to post this update on AMO once the existing locales are updated and any bugs are fixed. If everyone updates fast, I'll extend that to a week to allow for typo fixes and the like. Please PM me if you plan on finishing your locale soon, and would like me to wait a bit longer. No rush here.

#37 lloco

lloco

Moderator for pt-PT forum

• BabelZillian Mods
  • 78 posts

• Translator for Portuguese (pt-PT / Portugal)
  • Translation Credits to Carlos Simão

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

done for pt-PT

#38 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

• My OS Gnu/Linux

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:15 AM

This isn't really a Flagfox-specific issue, but I got a PM about it so I might as well post here just in case someone else gets it and doesn't know what it means.

If you install the 3.1 beta XPI then load Firefox and get something like this:

That means you didn't put in your translated locale. That particular error is complaining that the DTD file is missing an entity string for "menu.geotool". There's new strings in this version, so you need to add them for it to work. Translate your locale first, then add it in to test. If you really want to test beforehand, use the English locale or download one of the others at 100%. (or a partial with missing strings replaced with English or blanks) Neither the WTS nor Firefox automatically puts/loads fallbacks for partial translations in the XPI. (i.e. partial with the new strings missing from the files, not blank)

#39 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4,070 posts

• My OS Windows

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

Dutch locale updated, tested and released cool.gif

#40 momus

momus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:05 PM

Polish translation updated, tested and released smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users