[de-DE] Discussing Resurrect Pages translation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 freibooter

freibooter

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

No offense yamaban, but the German translation actually made me cringe, it's that bad.

The choice of "wieder beleben" for "resurrect" seems like a bad decision. Just google "wieder beleben" and you will notice that hardly anyone uses it spelled apart. It almost gives it a different meaning and I doubt that the new German spelling forces us to use it that way. "wieder auferstehen (lassen)" or just "wiederbeleben" would be much better choices.
And why did you choose to translate "link" with "Verweis"? The official German translation of Firefox universally uses "Link", even in the same right-click menu where you chose to use "Verweis".

And the German translation of the extension's description is almost incomprehensible. The original slightly tongue-in-cheek humor is completely lost in translation which makes the choice of terminology even more questionable.

I'm completely new to babelzilla so I'm not sure what the right way to fix this translation would be ...

#2 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (freibooter @ May 30 2008, 15:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offense yamaban, but the German translation actually made me cringe, it's that bad.

The choice of "wieder beleben" for "resurrect" seems like a bad decision. Just google "wieder beleben" and you will notice that hardly anyone uses it spelled apart. It almost gives it a different meaning and I doubt that the new German spelling forces us to use it that way. "wieder auferstehen (lassen)" or just "wiederbeleben" would be much better choices.
And why did you choose to translate "link" with "Verweis"? The official German translation of Firefox universally uses "Link", even in the same right-click menu where you chose to use "Verweis".

And the German translation of the extension's description is almost incomprehensible. The original slightly tongue-in-cheek humor is completely lost in translation which makes the choice of terminology even more questionable.

I'm completely new to babelzilla so I'm not sure what the right way to fix this translation would be ...

You are welcomeani.gif on this site. I cannot judge for German language of course, but I am sure German translators would appreciate this feedback and take the necessary steps to improve what should be. As a general rule, we need small teams to double-chek, proofread and improve, vs a translator on his own is doomed to make low quality work, even when experienced. That is why you are very welcome.
Please drop a PM to Team erweiterungen.de
with a link to your post above.
Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#3 yamaban

yamaban

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (freibooter @ May 30 2008, 14:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First: No offence taken.

Second: If added you "freibooter" as second translator for de-DE. To use this:
1.} From the Homepage, in left-side menu, use link "Web Translation System"
2.} In "Web Translation System" aka "WTS", in left-side menu, use link "Manage my translations", then select "Resurrect Pages"
or directly "WTS:Resurrect Pages:de-DE:Filelist"

Third: About the Language used:
1.} Well, there's German and there's Techno-Babbel, commonly named "Neu-Deutsch".
2.} "wieder auferstehen (lassen)" has to much "religious" touch for my liking, but "wiederbeleben" is ok.
. . . (Sorry, I'm a little older and use some times a seldom used spelling, none the less I'm Network-Designer and Administrator.)
3.} "Link" versus "Verweis", well see 1.} and I didn't check against "offical" German translation of Firefox since 1.0.x

All in all, I'll change "wieder beleben" to "wiederbeleben", but keep "Verweis" for now.

Cheers, Yamaban

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CCBot (1)