52 replies to this topic

#41 milupo

milupo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (sparkybluefang @ Dec 29 2011, 17:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's correct. There are a total of 103 strings. I have no idea why WTS thinks en-US has 182.

Hello sparkybluefang, for my three languages (dsb, eo, hsb) is all OK again now. If you was able to correct it yourself, you may give a hint to Giorgio Maone, the author of Noscript. He has the same issue with Noscript. There 15 strings are shown too much.

Thanks.
milupo

#42 Endor8

Endor8

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hi sparkybluefang

Can you please add me as translator for German language?
I have all missing strings ready. So please add me too.

Thanks.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year!!

Endor

#43 sparkybluefang

sparkybluefang

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Endor8 @ Dec 31 2011, 13:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you please add me as translator for German language?
I have all missing strings ready. So please add me too.

I can't add you, but I opened registration for DE, so you should be able to add yourself. Don't forget to list your self as a translator in the meta.properties.

#44 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Admin:

To avoid stepping on someone's toes and/or ending up with parallel translations, we
recommend that you contact the existing translator(s) by sending him/her/them a
message asking if it's OK to join in or take over the translation.

Do that, give the translators a week or two to respond, and if they haven't answered
you, just contact me or any other admin, explain that you have tried to get in touch
with the existing translators for that add-on to no avail, and ask us to open the translation.

/Lakrits
"[…] och han talar med bönder på böndernas sätt
men med lärde män på latin." – Erik Axel Karlfeldt

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin
Moderator for the Swedish BabelZilla forum section

#45 Endor8

Endor8

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hi sparkybluefang
Thank you very much.

Cheers.
Endor

#46 sparkybluefang

sparkybluefang

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Lakrits @ Dec 31 2011, 15:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To avoid stepping on someone's toes and/or ending up with parallel translations, we
recommend that you contact the existing translator(s) by sending him/her/them a
message asking if it's OK to join in or take over the translation.

Do that, give the translators a week or two to respond, and if they haven't answered
you, just contact me or any other admin, explain that you have tried to get in touch
with the existing translators for that add-on to no avail, and ask us to open the translation.

I kind of figured that was the protocol, but I wasn't sure. The [somewhat limited] documentation is spread between wiki pages, FAQs, and tutorials, so it's kind of hard to find.

But in the case of DE, I haven't seen updates since July 2011 (according to my version control logs). And since then, I have sent out numerous update requests, to all translators, as part of the update process.

#47 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (sparkybluefang @ Dec 31 2011, 21:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But in the case of DE, I haven't seen updates since July 2011 (according to my version control logs). And since then, I have sent out numerous update requests, to all translators, as part of the update process.

One of the translators logged in very recently, which suggests that he/she might be reachable through an e-mail or a PM. And besides that, it's common courtesy and basic politeness to ask someone before taking over and amending to/changing that persons work. To me that is self-evident even if it isn't scribbled down somewhere.

The main problem is that if one of the two previously registered translators suddenly uploads an updated translation of their own, erasing what Endor8 has done, it may lower the quality of your product for the de locale users, as they might experience apparent random changes of the translation from version to version.

I agree that the documentation situation has somewhat decayed.'

/Lakrits

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin

#48 Endor8

Endor8

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

To prevent any further discussion I removed my 11 translated strings.

Now it is all like it was before I requested to be added as translator.
Now you can remove me as translator for German if the Admin. it requested
or it is necessary.

Please remove me as translator for German from this Add-on.

Endor

#49 milupo

milupo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Lakrits @ Jan 1 2012, 04:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the translators logged in very recently, which suggests that he/she might be reachable through an e-mail or a PM. And besides that, it's common courtesy and basic politeness to ask someone before taking over and amending to/changing that persons work. To me that is self-evident even if it isn't scribbled down somewhere.

And, what has he done? Nothing. As sparkybluefang wrote, nobody translated since July. And the other registered thranslator has been in July the last time. You should be glad like sparkyblufang that someone looks after the German translation of Status-4-Evar. I receive an e-mail from Babelzilla if there are new strings to translate - and I think other translators as well. And, did the registered translators react? No, not at all.

The main problem is that if one of the two previously registered translators suddenly uploads an updated translation of their own, erasing what Endor8 has done, it may lower the quality of your product for the de locale users, as they might experience apparent random changes of the translation from version to version.

It's nonsense. To see, what is new the translators must have a look on Babelzilla. And if they see that there are no untranslated strings they do not upload new files. And it is not OK that you insinuate Endor8 that his translations are of less quality. Also you should work in the interest of the extension author. And the extension author sparkybluefang has been wishing a completion of the German translation for a long time. Consider that extension authors and translators are the most important people here. Without them Babelzilla must be closed any time.
By such a politics like you do you drive both translators and extension authors away. Think it over.

#50 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (milupo @ Jan 1 2012, 15:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And, what has he done? Nothing. As sparkybluefang wrote, nobody translated since July. And the other registered thranslator has been in July the last time. You should be glad like sparkyblufang that someone looks after the German translation of Status-4-Evar. I receive an e-mail from Babelzilla if there are new strings to translate - and I think other translators as well. And, did the registered translators react? No, not at all.

It's nonsense. To see, what is new the translators must have a look on Babelzilla. And if they see that there are no untranslated strings they do not upload new files. And it is not OK that you insinuate Endor8 that his translations are of less quality. Also you should work in the interest of the extension author. And the extension author sparkybluefang has been wishing a completion of the German translation for a long time. Consider that extension authors and translators are the most important people here. Without them Babelzilla must be closed any time.
By such a politics like you do you drive both translators and extension authors away. Think it over.

smile.gif hey guys cool down. I haven't seen any insinuation that Endor8 has done low quality job, Lakrits just stated what should be minimum carefulness about adding new translators in charge.
But now I can see the German team for this extension is lead by Archaeopteryx so we have no doubt he can perfectly manage and choose the best option for the benefit of the translation without any interference from us.

Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#51 milupo

milupo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Goofy @ Jan 1 2012, 16:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif hey guys cool down. I haven't seen any insinuation that Endor8 has done low quality job, Lakrits just stated what should be minimum carefulness about adding new translators in charge.
But now I can see the German team for this extension is lead by Archaeopteryx so we have no doubt he can perfectly manage and choose the best option for the benefit of the translation without any interference from us.

Archaeopteryx does not lead the German team. He may be the first translator who registered. But this is not any merit. It's an accident only. But he had enough opportunities to complete the translation. You should consider that the extension author wishes to have translated his extension with every release he makes available. I understand that translations should be protected in a certain way but here you overdo it. The price cannot be that you prevent the extension from translating.

#52 Lakrits

Lakrits

Daredevil Test Pilot

• Admin
  • 894 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Endor8 @ Jan 1 2012, 13:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To prevent any further discussion I removed my 11 translated strings.

Now it is all like it was before I requested to be added as translator.
Now you can remove me as translator for German if the Admin. it requested
or it is necessary.

Please remove me as translator for German from this Add-on.

Endor

Endor8,

You are most welcome here! And your contribution is also welcome. I don't understand why milupo is so aggressive,
the only thing I wanted to remind you and everyone else of, is the need for mutual understanding between those who are
cooperating in translating an add-on. It is important that translations are kept up-to-date, but also important that the
translators are on the same page when it comes to an add-on.

Please don't see this as an attempt to stop you, but only as a reminder for you to at least try to get in touch with the other
translators. If they don't answer, feel free to go ahead. If you need to get in to an add-on that is locked, contact me or
Goofy or any other admin, and we'll accommodate you.

/Lakrits

(This will also be sent as a PM to Endor8)

Lakrits
BabelZilla admin

#53 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

*********** message of service *********************
subsequent posts moved on this other thread http://www.babelzilla.org/forum/index.php?...c=7078&st=0
to keep this topic related to this extension translation
Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CCBot (2)