Haha, actually I AM pretty old school when it comes to do things online.
It feels safer and an editor is usually smother than a bowser script or application.
Aaand just to support this my view, I found that all my changes in amo.dtd were lost - had translated all but the very last field. Did it again and found it won't save (if I open the page in a new window, all will be untranslated). So I downloaded the file and edited it using notepad++, this time making sure it was encoded as UTF-8. I hope it works!
Then I translated BZ_localized.txt, but I cannot upload it. I am getting a message that this file was unknown, hence will be ignored.
Anyway, all important strings should be translated now!
I am going to install the new PRE and see if I find some awkward translation.
I have encountered that problem before, and I also lost a whole page of translation...
You may have to click the "Save" button several times to ensure the green "Saved" message comes out. Otherwise the save command is not actually called.
When you have done, please change the status to "Released" then I'll receive a notification about that.