Ext. Version: 0.9.0

Extension is compatible to:
Firefox: 1.0 - 1.6
Thunderbird: 1.0 - 1.6
Sunbird: 0.2 - 0.3+
Included locales: de-DE,en-US,es-ES,fr-FR,it-IT,zh-CN
Description: Floating TIP support. Based on TPCTIP/TPCISC by Datagrove software

View on WTS -- Download the extension

Edited by Malorkus, 05 January 2006 - 11:18 PM.

#2 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:42 PM

smile.gif I have seen that most of french translation is already done, with some new strings to translate...
Would you mind telling us the name/mail address (by PM) of the usual french translator (I cannot find him/her on our usual lists for translators on geckozone, the french portal) so that I send him an invitation to go on working here on the wts ?
Or maybe you can invite the translator directly if you wish smile.gif

TIA
Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#3 Luana

Luana

(Just a passionate localizer since 2004!)

• Admin
  • 3478 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:09 PM

Welcome on BabelZilla ! biggrin.gif
There isn't a previous Italian translator, therefore if nobody objects I'll provide the Italian localization
E' meglio tacere ed essere, che dire e non essere (Ignazio, II sec. d. C)
Quod scripturae mandatur, non solum praesentibus sed futuris prodesse valeat...

#4 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:38 PM

smile.gif @ translators
this extension includes a .js file to translate, which must be done by download/translate/upload, since .js files are not taken into account by the wts for security reasons.

You must be careful when translating this js file, for one thing if there is special encoding to be done according to your own language (same encoding as in a .properties file), and I suggest you give a look at this advice on mozdev extension page :

Additionally, you can add to or modify the search patterns for the scope guessing to reflect your language. This may improve scope guessing on non-English websites, because these patterns are searched for in certain website text in order to figure out what kind of data is expected in a given text field. To modify the patterns, download the following text file:
geckotip-patterns.js

In this file, you should only modify alphanumeric text that lies between slashes and vertical bars, like "/number/" or "/username|login|userid/". The file has comments explaining further. Do not change any of the non-alphanumeric characters unless you're familiar with regular expression syntax.

#5 Malorkus

Malorkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(Goofy @ Dec 11 2005, 08:38)
smile.gif @ translators
this extension includes a .js file to translate, which must be done by download/translate/upload, since .js files are not taken into account by the wts for security reasons.

You must be careful when translating this js file, for one thing if there is special encoding to be done according to your own language (same encoding as in a .properties file), and I suggest you give a look at this advice on mozdev extension page :
[right][snapback]6547[/snapback][/right]

Hi everyone, thanks for the interest in translating .

The JS file is an *optional* file for translation and may be a little confusing if you aren't familiar with what the extension does and what regular expressions are. Basically the extension needs to try to guess what kind of input is being asked for in a website's text input fields (ie, name, email address, number, etc). The JS file provides a list of expressions to search the associated text around the input field. If it finds the right text it associates the field to the associated input type. So in translating the JS file the important thing to keep in mind is the corresponding shorthand notation that might be used on your language's websites.. For example, "addr" is a string that, if found, recognizes the field as an address. I don't know what the corresponding abbreviation of address might be in Italian, for example, but that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. It's not an exact translation, and MAY be best left to people who actually use the extension, so they can test out the effectiveness of various translations in real situations. Also, in many cases even if a website is in another language I've noticed there is English text "invisible" to the user (i.e. the HTML name of the field is in english), which means the untranslated search phrases can still provide a decent level of functionality on these sites. That all being said, if anyone would like to offer a translated version of the JS file, it is most welcome. Oh, and don't worry too much about the encoding, I can always fix it manually before I release it if it needs tweaking.

Goofy, the French translator is Stéphane Torres, the owner of several Tablet PC-themed French websites. His email is tabletpccorner (at) sorobangeeks.com. However, I will probably be adding a few more extra strings to the extension before it's next release, so I've been holding off on asking for additional translations from him and my German translator for now.

Ian

#6 Luana

Luana

• Admin
  • 3478 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(Malorkus @ Dec 13 2005, 07:51)
For example, "addr" is a string that, if found, recognizes the field as an address. I don't know what the corresponding abbreviation of address might be in Italian, for example, but that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. It's not an exact translation, and MAY be best left to people who actually use the extension, so they can test out the effectiveness of various translations in real situations.
Ian
[right][snapback]6627[/snapback][/right]

Hi Ian,
sorry for the delay
Thanks for the explanation !
Eh eh eh, you guessed my doubts rolleyes.gif
I replaced the 'draft' of the translated js with the original English js file
The Italian localization can be grabbed from the WTS biggrin.gif

And now, I have a request and a 'suggestion' !
Please, could you add the localized description ?
Could it be possible for you, before a next future release, "to move the translatable labels" from that js file to the locale folders ? rolleyes.gif
I'm suggesting this in order to allow a fully translation on-line smile.gif
Thanks in advance

#7 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:57 AM

Goofy, the French translator is Stéphane Torres, the owner of several Tablet PC-themed French websites. His email is tabletpccorner (at) sorobangeeks.com. However, I will probably be adding a few more extra strings to the extension before it's next release, so I've been holding off on asking for additional translations from him and my German translator for now.

Thanks smile.gif
I have just sent him a mail telling him that of course he goes on working with you in his usual way, but that he also may take advantage of the Web Translation System if he feels it handy, he would be very welcome here. smile.gif

#8 urko

urko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:43 PM

Ian,
regarding the js file, I am not sure if I undertood correctly. Instead of translating into Spanishthe terms or maintaining the English ones, could I add to the English text patterns (or regular expresions) also some Spanish ones, just like following example:

/day|month|year|date|día|mes|año/

so the extension would be able to detect both languages in the HTML? Or there is a maximum number of expresions per line?

#9 Malorkus

Malorkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(urko @ Dec 13 2005, 11:43)
Ian,
regarding the js file, I am not sure if I undertood correctly. Instead of translating into Spanishthe terms or maintaining the English ones, could I add to the English text patterns (or regular expresions) also some Spanish ones, just like following example:

/day|month|year|date|día|mes|año/

so the extension would be able to detect both languages in the HTML? Or there is a maximum number of expresions per line?
[right][snapback]6640[/snapback][/right]

urko, yes, you should add to the English strings if you're comfortable with it. I shouldn't expect translators to know the syntax of Regular Expressions though, so I'm more than happy to manually adjust a translated version of the file to include the English as well, if anyone wants to just straight out translate the strings instead of adding to them.

MatrixIsAllOver, I didn't know how to localize the description-- it seemed like there should be a way. Thanks for the tip! As for the strings in the JS file, the problem is that the file is also user-editable, and putting the strings someplace else makes things harder to modify. I'll see what I can do, though..

Thanks to everyone who submitted translations so far. This site is great!

Ian

#10 Luana

Luana

• Admin
  • 3478 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Malorkus @ Dec 13 2005, 21:17)
MatrixIsAllOver, I didn't know how to localize the description-- it seemed like there should be a way. Thanks for the tip!

it's a pleasure ! biggrin.gif
I'm glad if I can be useful in some way

QUOTE(Malorkus @ Dec 13 2005, 21:17)
As for the strings in the JS file, the problem is that the file is also user-editable, and putting the strings someplace else makes things harder to modify. I'll see what I can do, though..
[right][snapback]6647[/snapback][/right]

Many many thanks biggrin.gif

#11 urko

urko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:36 PM

Ian
when testing the extension with the Spanish locale I have found one item not translated in the status bar menu:
Debug Info

I selected this option and obtained two more English terms:
Scope:
Descriptor:

Could they be included in the dtd or properties file, or is there some problem (javascript items or similar)?

#12 Malorkus

Malorkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(urko @ Dec 14 2005, 06:36)
Ian
when testing the extension with the Spanish locale I have found one item not translated in the status bar menu:
Debug Info

I selected this option and obtained two more English terms:
Scope:
Descriptor:

Could they be included in the dtd or properties file, or is there some problem (javascript items or similar)?
[right][snapback]6702[/snapback][/right]

urko, none of that will appear in public released versions. I'm just using that for my own debugging purposes. biggrin.gif

Ian

#13 coolkid

coolkid

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

Hi Ian,
I am the Zh-CN translator.

There're some parts in the localization pack that I did not translate because of cultural differences. For example, Chinese don't have middle name or name suffix.

Hope it helps.

Wendy
Zh-CN Translator
Currently working on GeckoTIP

#14 Serge

Serge

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:18 PM

Hi Ian!

I just cleaned up geckotip.dtd and geckotip.properties in WTS (new lines in version 0.8 and some translations I wasn't happy with).

BTW, finally TIP in Sunbird, my eternal gratitude for that wub.gif

Serge

#15 HPClean

HPClean

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:02 AM

Just finish to translate in french new strings of 0.80 release on WTS
Good job and thanks a lot !

#16 Malorkus

Malorkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE(Serge @ Dec 26 2005, 13:18)
BTW, finally TIP in Sunbird, my eternal gratitude for that  wub.gif
Serge
[right][snapback]7376[/snapback][/right]

You should have asked! The only reason I didn't have it earlier was I don't use it myself and I didn't think Sunbird was that popular smile.gif I think there's no technical reason GeckoTIP can't work with very few changes for almost any Mozilla-based application. The limiting factor is me downloading, installing, and testing it on them smile.gif (One exception is Flock, which has a bug that prevents the TIP tracking from working, because it was based off an early Firefox 1.5 beta that had this bug).

There's going to be another update for GeckoTIP in the next couple of days probably. Everyone, you should make sure you officially "release" your translations through the babelzilla board, because there's a bug that may cause your work to be lost otherwise when I update the extension.

#17 Malorkus

Malorkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:27 AM

Guys,

I just uploaded GeckoTIP 0.9.0 for translation. There's a pretty good number of new strings to translate (to match several new features I've added smile.gif ).

Some notes:

1) The term "Regular Expression" appears in several of the strings. In case you didn't know, it's a technical phrase that refers to a certain type of expression used in pattern-matching. There may be a particular standard way this should be translated to your language, so you should be aware of this. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where you should look for a translation of it, offhand... if anyone can provide a reference that'd be great.

2) Although I think all the text strings are finalized, there's still some bugs and miscellany to fix up before the final release. In particular the **extension currently seems to break Firefox and Thunderbird 1.0**, so don't install it on these! I haven't tried it on Sunbird recently but it may also break that. It also isn't exactly ready for FF or TB 1.5 either-it's missing one or two small things I'm adding before the final release and one or two small things are broken.

Thanks,

Ian

#18 urko

urko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(Malorkus @ Jan 5 2006, 08:27)
Guys,
I just uploaded GeckoTIP 0.9.0 for translation. There's a pretty good number of new strings to translate (to match several new features I've added smile.gif ).

It seems that something went wrong with the Spanish locale in the new uploaded version:
- geckotip-patterns.js is corrupted in WTS (more exactly, it is cut by the half). Rest of files seem OK - anyway I would check them carefully.
- I was unregistered as translator (only me, not the all translators). I registered again, but it appeared again as unknown translator. Registered (second time) and now the extension appears twice in my list of 'Manage my translations", but I am not allowed to edit the files, because in the general list translator remains unknown sad.gif .

I have downloaded the files (included English version of JS file) in order to work locally in my PC, although I can not upload them.

In the meantime could some of our wonderful Admins check what is happening exactly or what could I do? please.gif

urko

#19 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:19 PM

1. if the .js file is cut by half,it is probably that it is more than 5Kb in size dry.gif which is too much for current buffers in the WTS. Please see how you can attach the .js once translated. Sorry for this limitation again. dry.gif

[Edit] I was wrong, the file is less than 1Kb. Now I supect the wts does not like regular expressions ohmy.gif . I report to Him Whose Power Is Great (just call him Jürgen, but you know I must be respectful with that guy laugh.gif )

2. I give a look just now to try and restore your translator's permission.
[edit] After having a look, I send a message to Fenian (the real tech admin) to do the operation throughout database

#20 Malorkus

Malorkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(Goofy @ Jan 5 2006, 06:19)
1. if the .js file is cut by half,it is probably that it is more than 5Kb in size dry.gif  which is too much for current buffers in the WTS. Please see how you can attach the .js once translated. Sorry for this limitation again. dry.gif

[Edit] I was wrong, the file is less than 1Kb. Now I supect the wts does not like regular expressions ohmy.gif . I report to Him Whose Power Is Great (just call him Jürgen, but you know I must be respectful with that guy laugh.gif )

2. I give a look just now to try and restore your translator's permission.
[edit] After having a look, I send a message to Fenian (the real tech admin) to do the operation throughout database
[right][snapback]7867[/snapback][/right]

urko, I'm sorry, I think I'm to blame partially; I forgot to add es-ES and it-IT locales to the install.rdf file when I uploaded initially, which caused the site to unregister you. I fixed the file and reuploaded but the damage was done sad.gif .

Also, I moved the explanatory text that was in the beginning of the .js file into the .properties file (to ease translation). But it seems to not be working with the WTS properly; The bug is probably due to the fact that I continue the string across multiple lines using the "\" character. The site needs to take this into account. It should also update the js file across all locales since it's changed since last time...

Ian

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users