430 replies to this topic

#41 zagadka

zagadka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(eviljeff @ Feb 13 2006, 00:15)
Its stored in a preference called 'attachmentextractor.filenamepattern'.  You can set it when you use the menu item I added.  I don't really understand your question.  If theres an error message then you have to tell me what it says or i won't be able to work out whats gone wrong.
[right][snapback]10375[/snapback][/right]

There is no error message and I have found it now. I had missed it because attachmentextractor.extractpattern.label doesn't end with 3 periods which is normally used (at least in my experience) to indicate that a menuitem opens a dialog for input and doesn't take immediate action.

#42 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(zagadka @ Feb 13 2006, 10:10)
There is no error message and I have found it now. I had missed it because attachmentextractor.extractpattern.label doesn't end with 3 periods which is normally used (at least in my experience) to indicate that a menuitem opens a dialog for input and doesn't take immediate action.
[right][snapback]10391[/snapback][/right]

ah wink.gif
I didn't add a "..." to that one. Does anyone think it should be there? My thinking was the rest of them such as "Extract Attachments to" didn't make grammatical sense without another word, i.e. the "...". Whereas "Extract with a Custom Filename Pattern" does make grammatical sense. Maybe i'm thinking about this a little too much smile.gif

#43 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

I've put up version 0.6.5 (i.e. 0.6.1 on here) on my website. I can't upload a new version here without either wiping out peoples work or filling half finished translations with english text.

#44 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

Does anyone think the webpage for Attachment Extractor (http://www.eviljeff.com/?page=moz-extensions) should be translated? Or more relevantly: is anyone going to bother doing it? wink.gif

It shouldn't take me too long to add a bit of code into my website to detect accept-languages and serve a correct language but i won't bother if theres no call for it. cool.gif

#45 chuzo

chuzo

Site Admin

• Admin
  • 1306 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

IMHO it's a pretty good idea happy.gif

I will translate page to Spanish if you like wink.gif

#46 Luana

Luana

(Just a passionate localizer since 2004!)

• Admin
  • 3478 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(chuzo @ Feb 16 2006, 19:41)
IMHO it's a pretty good idea happy.gif
[right][snapback]10560[/snapback][/right]

+ 1
I agree!

And I will translate page to Italian, if you like biggrin.gif

E' meglio tacere ed essere, che dire e non essere (Ignazio, II sec. d. C)
Quod scripturae mandatur, non solum praesentibus sed futuris prodesse valeat...

#47 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

biggrin.gif Cool. Well i've started adding the code to the website to support multiple languages:
http://www.eviljeff.com/?page=moz-extensions&lang=en
http://www.eviljeff.com/?page=moz-extensions&lang=fr
French was just put through Babelfish so its probably comical gibberish.

When i've finished it will check the accept-languages header that your browser sends and default to that, and there will be links at the top of the page letting people switch manually.

The format of the page needs to be kept roughly the same and it only the content of the page that should be translated - the menus are generated. I suppose if someone doesn't want to bother translating all the changelog they can just do the main part and put a link the full changelog in english (this would be the url)

I don't know how people want to do this - you could add the file as an attachment to a post here.

#48 Calimo

Calimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(eviljeff @ Feb 18 2006, 12:35)
French was just put through Babelfish so its probably comical gibberish.
[right][snapback]10653[/snapback][/right]
Nooooooo laugh.gif tongue.gif
(just a little bit, and a lot less than the reverse translation from french to english, powered by Google biggrin.gif )

I'm sorry to come only "after" the discussion, but I think the better and easyer thing to do could be to simplify the way to download the xpi file. For now, "Dowload now" redirects to the "Download" section, and the person has to choose between a "Stable Release" with 3 links, a "Development Release" with one direct link, and an "Older version" with also a link, all that with a lot of text.

So a person who wants to download need to :
  1. Click on "Download now" link
  2. choose the right link out of 5 (more difficult for non english-speaking people, but just think to english-speaking newbies : do they know what is a "development release" and so on ?)
  3. Come on the AMO page and click on install
This is complicated, even for users who are friendly with the language used.

In fact we already have a page describing the extension in french (http://extensions.geckozone.org/AttachmentExtractor/), so I don't know if the localisation of the "official page" would be really useful for us (fr). It would be more work for you and also for me, and the benefit would stay small. But this page links to Mozilla Update because of that difficulties (although there is a link to your site obviously), and because we are used to link to official versions rather than to maintain a version on our pages that would always be out-dated (when possible).

I think what you can do is to add an "Direct Download" link on the top of the page which would really directly download the latest stable version. Even better if you use an icon like the one on MozUpdate (), which permits to immediately find the correct link.

For us (french translators) it would be the best. But it doesn't means that other localisators don't need an i18n'd page wink.gif
Admin of Geckozone - Liberté d'extension and french translator.

#49 zagadka

zagadka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

Depending on which web server you use you might never see the Accept-Language parameter, in those cases the server decides for you which version is approriate to return.

Something else comes to mind. Page 65 of RFC 2616, the HTTP/1.1 standard, second paragraph from the bottom, says:
As intelligibility is highly dependent on the individual user, it is recommended that client applications make the choice of linguistic preference available to the user. If the choice is not made available, then the Accept-Language header field MUST NOT be given in the request.

So you might not get an Accept-Language parameter if you don't force the user to make a choice.

#50 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(Calimo @ Feb 18 2006, 13:43)
Nooooooo laugh.gif  tongue.gif
(just a little bit, and a lot less than the reverse translation from french to english, powered by Google biggrin.gif )

heh, I wonder where all the 'shirt's have come from huh.gif
I'm sorry to come only "after" the discussion, but I think the better and easyer thing to do could be to simplify the way to download the xpi file. For now, "Dowload now" redirects to the "Download" section, and the person has to choose between a "Stable Release" with 3 links, a "Development Release" with one direct link, and an "Older version" with also a link, all that with a lot of text.

So a person who wants to download need to :

1. Click on "Download now" link

2. choose the right link out of 5 (more difficult for non english-speaking people, but just think to english-speaking newbies : do they know what is a "development release" and so on ?)

3. Come on the AMO page and click on install

This is complicated, even for users who are friendly with the language used.

I think what you can do is to add an "Direct Download" link on the top of the page which would really directly download the latest stable version. Even better if you use an icon like the one on MozUpdate (), which permits to immediately find the correct link.

I understand what you're saying but what release would it download? I would hope the noobs go straight to the official moz update site (and therefore get the stable release) but people who've taken the time to go directly to my website probably want the most up to date version, i.e. the development release. If the 'direct download' link just redirects them to mozilla update then its not getting any simplier for the poor old (young) noob. But if the direct download gets the version i have on my site, the development release, then it might be broken for them.
In fact we already have a page describing the extension in french (http://extensions.geckozone.org/AttachmentExtractor/), so I don't know if the localisation of the "official page" would be really useful for us (fr). It would be more work for you and also for me, and the benefit would stay small. But this page links to Mozilla Update because of that difficulties (although there is a link to your site obviously), and because we are used to link to official versions rather than to maintain a version on our pages that would always be out-dated (when possible).[right][snapback]10657[/snapback][/right]

Yes i know about your website and the french description - You were the person who first asked me to localise Attachment Extractor just over a year ago- so its all your fault this localisation thing tongue.gif laugh.gif
The french version could just be a page that redirects to your site.

#51 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(zagadka @ Feb 18 2006, 14:25)
Depending on which web server you use you might never see the Accept-Language parameter, in those cases the server decides for you which version is approriate to return.

Something else comes to mind. Page 65 of RFC 2616, the HTTP/1.1 standard, second paragraph from the bottom, says:

So you might not get an Accept-Language parameter if you don't force the user to make a choice.
[right][snapback]10660[/snapback][/right]
Yeah i know. If theres no accept-language parameter, or doesn't contain a supported translation I would just serve the english text.

#52 chuzo

chuzo

Site Admin

• Admin
  • 1306 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(eviljeff @ Feb 18 2006, 12:35)
The format of the page needs to be kept roughly the same and it only the content of the page that should be translated - the menus are generated. [right][snapback]10653[/snapback][/right]

Could you please put here a template, or directly the html file to translating? Thanks smile.gif

#53 Calimo

Calimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(eviljeff @ Feb 18 2006, 21:12)
I would hope the noobs go straight to the official moz update site (and therefore get the stable release)
[right][snapback]10692[/snapback][/right]
You're probably right. wink.gif

Admin of Geckozone - Liberté d'extension and french translator.

#54 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

Ok, I've reformatted the text in the download section of the page a little to (hopefully) make it a bit clearer and renamed the two releases
'Mozilla-Approved' and 'Advance' rather than stable and development. Plus used the mozilla update download icon and copied their text.
(Good ideas Calimo wink.gif )

And attached to this post is the file that need translating (again, don't bother translating the whole changelog unless you want to). The file is html but it doesn't have any header to it and theres a bit of php code in there too. Ideally you would translate this in a text editor because something like FrontPage would mess up the file too much. Hopefully this won't be too confusing cool.gif

Attached Files

#55 chuzo

chuzo

Site Admin

• Admin
  • 1306 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:43 PM

Translation for Spanish help page attached wink.gif

Please, tell me if you need anything else.

#56 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

Okay, added Spanish help page.
Try it out ( *fingers crossed* )
http://www.eviljeff.com/?page=moz-extensions

#57 chuzo

chuzo

Site Admin

• Admin
  • 1306 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:42 AM

I have to use http://www.eviljeff.com/?page=moz-extensions&lang=es to view Spanish version, with your link original English version is shown...

PS: I notice that I forgot to translate 'In Brief'. Please, could you change it to 'Resumen', thanks smile.gif

#58 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(chuzo @ Feb 21 2006, 00:42)
I have to use http://www.eviljeff.com/?page=moz-extensions&lang=es to view Spanish version, with your link original English version is shown...

PS: I notice that I forgot to translate 'In Brief'. Please, could you change it to 'Resumen', thanks smile.gif
[right][snapback]10833[/snapback][/right]

Maybe you're browser isn't sending the correct accept language. I assume you use Firefox so can you go into the options and check (in advanced i believe) what language settings you have?

#59 chuzo

chuzo

Site Admin

• Admin
  • 1306 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

Yes, tested with Firefox (of course biggrin.gif)

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1

And language settings:

#60 eviljeff

eviljeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(chuzo @ Feb 21 2006, 13:34)
Yes, tested with Firefox (of course biggrin.gif)

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1

And language settings:

[right][snapback]10861[/snapback][/right]
Hmm, yes thats what I would expect... I'll have a look when I get home because it was working before when i was testing with my faux-francais translation so i must have changed something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users