• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 songbird

songbird

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Maintainer: songbird
Creator: Stephen Lau (stevel@songbirdnest.com)

Ext. Version: 1.1.7pre+d
Release date: 0000-00-00
Description: Like your favourite old school mix tape, mix and mash up various web sources for your library enhancing pleasure.
Extension is compatible to: ( Songbird 1.10.0a - 1.10.0a)

Included locales: bn-IN ca-AD cs-CZ da de de-DE el-GR en-GB en-UK en-US es-AR es-ES fr fr-FR he-IL hu hu-HU it-IT ja ja-JP ko-KR kw-GB nl nl-NL pl pl-PL pt-BR pt-PT ru-RU sl-SI sr sv-SE th-TH tr-TR uk-UA zh-CN zh-TW

View on WTS -- Download the extension

Edited by songbird, 28 January 2011 - 12:24 AM.

#2 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hey long time no see, welcomeani.gif Steve! smile.gif
Glad to see you here (btw I never received a Songbird Tshirt laugh.gif )

Just a bit of information for you: in case you have some queries about the WTS, you can find short and simple Questions&Answers about it here!

In case you're looking for a specific translator, please see the list of available translators on BabelZilla.
When you select the desired one, you can send him/her a P.M. or an e-mail (if and when public).

You may also insert a new Topic in the Help Section, in order to ask for specific translations, to write a general request about missing translations, etc.
Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#3 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Goofy @ Apr 17 2008, 17:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey long time no see, welcomeani.gif Steve! smile.gif
Glad to see you here (btw I never received a Songbird Tshirt laugh.gif )

Just a bit of information for you: in case you have some queries about the WTS, you can find short and simple Questions&Answers about it here!

In case you're looking for a specific translator, please see the list of available translators on BabelZilla.
When you select the desired one, you can send him/her a P.M. or an e-mail (if and when public).

You may also insert a new Topic in the Help Section, in order to ask for specific translations, to write a general request about missing translations, etc.

Hi Goofy smile.gif
Hrm, I'll see if I can find out what happened with the t-shirt and get it your way! smile.gif

#4 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

Ack. I just uploaded a new version (0.1.4) with the fr-FR and pl-PL locales included in the XPI, but for some reason they aren't reflected in the WTS.

This is my first time updating an existing extension - did I do something wrong? I downloaded the translations and placed them into my chrome/locale directory.

#5 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (stevel @ Apr 27 2008, 20:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ack. I just uploaded a new version (0.1.4) with the fr-FR and pl-PL locales included in the XPI, but for some reason they aren't reflected in the WTS.

This is my first time updating an existing extension - did I do something wrong? I downloaded the translations and placed them into my chrome/locale directory.

Ah phew. I forgot to update the chrome.manifest with the new locales. I did this, and reuploaded and I see the localisations are back. However it lists "Unknown translator" how do I fix this so the credit goes back to the right people (Goofy & Waclaw)?

Also, I updated two of the strings in mashTape.properties since I changed from using metrolyrics.com to lyricwiki.org. I was able to update one of them in fr-FR & pl-PL easily since it was just the hostname change, but other one needs some update since I added some additional text. Is there anyway I can flag this?

#6 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (stevel @ Apr 27 2008, 21:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah phew. I forgot to update the chrome.manifest with the new locales. I did this, and reuploaded and I see the localisations are back. However it lists "Unknown translator" how do I fix this so the credit goes back to the right people (Goofy & Waclaw)?

No problem, we are both re-registered again smile.gif
Also, I updated two of the strings in mashTape.properties since I changed from using metrolyrics.com to lyricwiki.org. I was able to update one of them in fr-FR & pl-PL easily since it was just the hostname change, but other one needs some update since I added some additional text. Is there anyway I can flag this?

The modified lines with lyricwiki will automatically overwrite the metrolyrics ones in the translation fields for every other language. So you have nothing special to do, though it is always a good idea to drop a word on this very topic to tell what's new and where, just as you did smile.gif

#7 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:00 AM

Hi - to all the mashTape localisers!

I just uploaded a new version 0.2.0pre that I'm currently developing to be released with Songbird 1.0. This is a complete re-work from the ground up, and unfortunately virtually none of the original strings were re-used. mashTape 0.2.0 is still a little while away from being released, but the strings should more or less look the same as where they are now.

This will be part of the first-run bundle for Songbird 1.0 - so every Songbird user will by default get a copy of mashTape, so I'm trying to give as much advance notice so I can roll in localisations to be released when we ship this with Songbird 1.0.

Thanks for any help!
cheers,
steve
rockon.gif

#8 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (Goofy @ Apr 27 2008, 21:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No problem, we are both re-registered again smile.gif

Goofy, I suppose you’ll do the honours again?

@stevel: although all strings have been replaced it would have been better to have kept the locale lines in chrome.manifest. In that way, you will preserve your translators and they will be notified of the update wink.gif
While the bankers all get their bonuses I’ll just get along with what I’ve got

#9 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (markh @ Sep 9 2008, 06:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goofy, I suppose you’ll do the honours again?

@stevel: although all strings have been replaced it would have been better to have kept the locale lines in chrome.manifest. In that way, you will preserve your translators and they will be notified of the update wink.gif

@markh: Oh! I didn't realise I could do that. I thought it would have broken stuff if I left the locale lines in chrome.manifest, but with empty .properties/.dtd files. That's good to know though; I'll make a note of that for the future.

cheers,
stevel

#10 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

smile.gif I have done a new fr-FR translation and I wish to test it before releasing.

I have been trying with Version: Songbird/0.7.0 (20080819112708) (2008072921) Build 716
I was obliged to update the French langpack after having received a parsing error ranting2.gif at first launch with French lang (to be precise, XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 137, Column 21: <button class="service-pane-spring-load-button)

Now my Songbird is ok for French, but I don't understand how I can see mashTape interface messages. When I start playing a track and have mashTape panel open, it always stays blank (even with notorious songs/bands that should trigger some info)

Any guidance please? smile.gif

#11 Nukeador

Nukeador

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

I'm doing the es-ES translation but I see some strings that maybe will be conflictive in non-English languages, for example "ago" is placed after the noum in English but in Spanish is something like "Hace X meses" "Ago XX months" instead of "XX months ago".

#12 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Nukeador @ Sep 9 2008, 15:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm doing the es-ES translation but I see some strings that maybe will be conflictive in non-English languages, for example "ago" is placed after the noum in English but in Spanish is something like "Hace X meses" "Ago XX months" instead of "XX months ago".

rolleyes.gif Same worries here for French, this is one of the reasons I wanted to test the layout of the translation

#13 Nukeador

Nukeador

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

es-ES is ready for release, but I'd like to test it in a real scenario, maybe the author could build a beta version with some of our translations?

#14 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Nukeador @ Sep 9 2008, 20:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
es-ES is ready for release, but I'd like to test it in a real scenario, maybe the author could build a beta version with some of our translations?

I've incorporated the existing localisations into an XPI here:
http://whacked.net/mashTape-0.2.0pre-localised.xpi

note: Thanks to Goofy above, I just realised this .xpi requires a nightly build of Songbird - I apologise for that. You can test it out with a Songbird nightly build from here:
http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer/Art.../Nightly_Builds

In order to test all the strings, you'll want to make sure you have tracks that test all 4 panes (so ideally big name bands that have good artist info, photos, videos, and news/blogs.) I've been testing with Bad Religion and Arctic Monkeys, and those seem to work well. One of the strings "extensions.mashTape.msg.no_info_found" will require you to have a track that doesn't have good meta-content on the web so that you can see that message. You can probably fake this by editing the metadata for the track so it's something bogus, or just find a really small not-well-known band. smile.gif

As for the layout issue, yeah... I form some phrases by putting strings together in English that look like "4 hours ago"; what's the best way to handle this for other languages? Part of the problem is that all 3 components of that string: "4", "hours", and "ago" come from different localised-strings since it's generated dynamically. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

#15 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (stevel @ Sep 9 2008, 21:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for the layout issue, yeah... I form some phrases by putting strings together in English that look like "4 hours ago"; what's the best way to handle this for other languages? Part of the problem is that all 3 components of that string: "4", "hours", and "ago" come from different localised-strings since it's generated dynamically. Any suggestions?

I just uploaded a new XPI with new strings that fixes this using the %1$S syntax to get the layout right. Many thanks to Nukeador & Mook!

#16 Nukeador

Nukeador

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

es-ES xpi is updated with the new strings and a small change based on QA.

#17 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (stevel @ Sep 9 2008, 23:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just uploaded a new XPI with new strings that fixes this using the %1$S syntax to get the layout right. Many thanks to Nukeador & Mook!

thanks for this change, but I still have some problem when testing (with a nightly build and your very last version)

Photos and info display OK as expected but nothing in the news, the panel remains blank (several well-known bands tested), and it is the same for the videos. mellow.gif

btw I am a bit surprised by the %1$S syntax.

I am used to see %S only in a properties file

something like " updated %S days ago " is more familiar to me, but sure I am no coder ;-)

#18 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

I just uploaded a new version... I ended up moving the Preferences from the tab into the Songbird Preferences system, so a bunch of the strings moved to a new options.dtd file, hence the new strings.

Apologies for the churn, and thanks for your translations! I'm psyched to have an extension that will have such broad localisation coverage at launch!

As a bonus, if you can find services that provide an API for getting localised biography information, I'll code up localised providers for anyone who does mashTape translations so that you can get localised artist info. The new XPI includes a Japanese Wikipedia one that I've been experimenting with.

#19 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

smile.gif sounds fine now. BTW you should add this line
pref("extensions.extensions.mashTape@songbirdnest.com.description.description", "chrome://mashtape/locale/mashtape.properties");

in the default/preferences file in order to have the description localized ;-)

-- why not have wikipedia info automatically switching according to every locale?
in the URL, just the two letters code needs to change according to the general.useragent.locale of the user's browser.
"http://"+UserLang+".wikipedia.org/wiki/searchedterm"

#20 stevel

stevel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Goofy @ Sep 11 2008, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif sounds fine now. BTW you should add this line
pref("extensions.extensions.mashTape@songbirdnest.com.description.description", "chrome://mashtape/locale/mashtape.properties");

in the default/preferences file in order to have the description localized ;-)

ah cool!! thanks, i'll do that.

QUOTE (Goofy @ Sep 11 2008, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-- why not have wikipedia info automatically switching according to every locale?
in the URL, just the two letters code needs to change according to the general.useragent.locale of the user's browser.
"http://"+UserLang+".wikipedia.org/wiki/searchedterm"

that's a really good idea; i'll look into implementing that. it's a little bit trickier since I'm not actually querying Wikipedia directly, I'm using the Wikipedia API provided by dbpedia.org - but I think I should still be able to get that localised artist info.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users