• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

Maintainer: DaveG
Creator: David Garrett

Ext. Version: 5.0.9
Release date: 0000-00-00
Description: Displays a flag depicting the location of the current server
Extension is compatible to: ( 2.14 - 2.32a2) ( 17.0 - 35.0a2)

Included locales: ar bg bn-IN ca cs da de el en-US es-AR es-ES fa fi fr he hr-HR hu hy-AM is it ja ko lt lv-LV mk-MK ms-MY nb-NO nl nn-NO pl pt-BR pt-PT ro ru sr sv-SE tr uk-UA uz-UZ vi zh-CN zh-TW

View on WTS -- Download the extension

Edited by DaveG, 09 November 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#2 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

welcomeani.gif on BabelZilla smile.gif
In case you have some curiosities about the WTS, you may find here short and simple Questions&Answers about it!

In case you're looking for some specific translator, please see the list of the available translators on BabelZilla
Selected that desired one, you may send him a P.M. or an e-mail (if and when public)
You may also insert a new Topic in the Help Section, in order to ask for specific translations, to write a general request about missing translations, etc.

Would you please send an invitation message to your translators for already existing languages, they are very welcome to go on their work on the wts smile.gif
Think Global, Make Locales!

Sometimes I am on irc://moznet/BabelZilla
but you can also drop a word in the shoutbox

#3 DaveG

DaveG

Techie Tricks and Tips provider

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

Hello. Flagfox 3.0 programmer here. I'd just like to clarify the locale progress a bit:

en-US: Native language for me (en-GB for rleeden)
it-IT: Was updated by the same translator that worked on old versions. Should be 100%
de-DE & fr-FR: Can't contact old translators. Have country names list translated and I reused the old strings that still apply. Only 16 short strings need translating for each. Should be easy to finish up.

#4 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

smile.gif French (fr-FR) locale completed, some improvements made, and tested ok. Now available on the wts.

#5 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

Thanks Goofy.

Ok, all we need now is a German update, 3 country translations for Italian, and then the Chinese (Simplified) translation that's currently underway and we should be ready to post this version on addons.mozilla.org for the first time.

For future translators:
I'd just like to point out that translating the extension is a bit of work. It requires not only translating the 33 GUI strings, but also localizing a full list of 238 country names into the most recognized name for that locale. For example, in de-DE we have "DE=Deutschland" while in en-US we have "DE=Germany". This is doubly time consuming for locales which don't use Latin characters that must also rewrite each one using their native character set. However, while this might take a bit more than many extensions, this is an inherently global extension, and we can really take advantage of having as many locales as possible. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

#6 Goofy

Goofy

Advanced Member

• Super Mod
  • 8437 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:09 PM

smile.gif One tip for translators about the huge list of countries.

In case it can help you should download the qls.dtd file from the excellent Quick Locale Switcher by our local hero Captain Caveman wub.gif .
You will find inside more than 200 country names in your language (if available for qls of course)

#7 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(Goofy @ Oct 2 2007, 17:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
smile.gif One tip for translators about the huge list of countries.

In case it can help you should download the qls.dtd file from the excellent Quick Locale Switcher by our local hero Captain Caveman wub.gif .
You will find inside more than 200 country names in your language (if available for qls of course)

Ah, yes, thanks, that's a wonderful help. It doesn't have quite everything in our list, but that should make things much easier. smile.gif

#8 Pedro

Pedro

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE("DaveG")
it-IT: Was updated by the same translator that worked on old versions. Should be 100%

Seems not at 100% and contains some little things that requires adjustments wink.gif

Is Garibaldi your official translator?
Are you sure that I am a translator? Have you seen my english?
Goofy's corrections © inside. The dog with the glasses has come back.

#9 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure who that is... tongue.gif

Probably him; I've emailed and PMed to ask.

It's at 100% now. There were some missing country names in the old localized versions.

I've updated the extension version posted here to 3.0.1 to include the description line property. Though, unfortunately, the progress on the simplified Chinese translation vanished in doing so... I created a help request thread for it here. Hopefully someone can put that back.

Edited to add:
Yep, confirmed, that's him.

#10 Pedro

Pedro

eXtenZilla IT Member

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

Thanks DaveG,

also Garibaldi solve my doubt... is the official translator tongue.gif

Bye bye

Pedro biggrin.gif
Are you sure that I am a translator? Have you seen my english?
Goofy's corrections © inside. The dog with the glasses has come back.

#11 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:06 AM

Dutch locale added, tested and released cool.gif
While the bankers all get their bonuses I’ll just get along with what I’ve got

#12 urko

urko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

Spanish locale tested and released smile.gif

urko

#13 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:57 AM

Thanks to all those who have volunteered thus far. You're a wonderful help. smile.gif

I've just posted an update, bringing the version to 3.0.3pre. Of note, I've switched the "isin" string to use getFormattedString() instead of getString(). Thus the flagfox.properties file has it now as "isin=%1$S is in %2$S". This is needed, because I'm looking for an Arabic translator right now, and I just noticed that this string couldn't be properly translated for right-to-left written languages. I've updated the existing locales' strings accordingly. There are no other string changes, so the automatic "in progress" status changes are unwarranted.

#14 fiag

fiag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:27 AM

the simplified Chinese translation added, tested and released

#15 urko

urko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

@DaveG: when rechecking for the new release I found a typo in countrynames.properties and corrected it. The change is already updated in WTS and I have re-released Spanish locale. Please discard the old one and replace it by the new one.

#16 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:35 AM

urko,
Ok, I've downloaded the changes.

Everyone else,
Feel free to double-check anything if you feel you need to. There's quite a bit there, so typos are easy to miss. When I'm ready to release the next batch of locales I'll just grab all the locales again to catch any updates. I'll wait for all the ones in progress to finish and post a single update, probably next weekend, unless there's another bugfix. It'd be stupid to update a half-meg extension to 4 or 5 thousand people via a relatively low-bandwidth server multiple times a week... rolleyes.gif

Speaking of which, this extension is currently sitting in the sandbox on addons.mozilla.org. Supposedly we have to sit there long enough to accumulate reviews, so if anyone wants to login there, we could use a review or two. Thus far we've only gotten a sad little 3 hits there. Not sure how long this process is going to take...

#17 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:46 AM

Dutch locale checked and released cool.gif

One thing however: I have found out that it slows down my FF tremendously. I will check this behavior on my home PC (maybe it's due to network settings) but I had to disable it on the PC I'm currently on.

#18 DaveG

DaveG

• Super Mod
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(markh @ Oct 15 2007, 08:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing however: I have found out that it slows down my FF tremendously. I will check this behavior on my home PC (maybe it's due to network settings) but I had to disable it on the PC I'm currently on.

Really? That's the first I've heard of this... There were some problems prior to 3.0.2 with extensions (1.x - 3.0.1 choked on "chrome://" and stalled on "about:" pages), but that should all work fine now. All our other testing has had this running rather smoothly. Hmm... I'm going to upload 3.0.3, with a few more tweaks and fixes, and then I'll ask you to give that a try.

I'm going to package in the completed locales and post to AMO with a request for public posting. Hopefully we've been sitting there long enough. I don't really know what their minimum requirements are.

#19 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE(DaveG @ Oct 15 2007, 21:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? That's the first I've heard of this... There were some problems prior to 3.0.2 with extensions (1.x - 3.0.1 choked on "chrome://" and stalled on "about:" pages), but that should all work fine now. All our other testing has had this running rather smoothly. Hmm... I'm going to upload 3.0.3, with a few more tweaks and fixes, and then I'll ask you to give that a try.

I'm going to package in the completed locales and post to AMO with a request for public posting. Hopefully we've been sitting there long enough. I don't really know what their minimum requirements are.

Tried it with the new version, but the problem is still the same. I haven't had a chance of testing it at home however, and since I'm on a company network it might have something to do with that. Worthwhile exploring though wink.gif

#20 markh

markh

BZ Jungle Guide

• Admin
  • 4070 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(markh @ Oct 16 2007, 07:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tried it with the new version, but the problem is still the same. I haven't had a chance of testing it at home however, and since I'm on a company network it might have something to do with that. Worthwhile exploring though wink.gif

I think it's the company network that somehow slows down the extension. I noticed that the flags didn't come up either, and they do at home (and it runs like a bliss there). Not a bug!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users